Expand my Community achievements bar.

Shared Computer Outlook E-mail Accounts

Level 9

I created a form with a custom e-mail submit button that sends the PDF form to the next approver that is selected by the user from a drop-down list. The form works correctly on computers that have only one Outlook e-mail account but the submit buttons do not work correctly when employess are sharing a computer (muliple Outlook e-mail accounts). Is there a way that when the Send By E-mail button is clicked, Outlook would, "ask" which account it should open?

Edit:

IT was able to help me with proper terminology that may elaborate this issue a bit.  Many users may share the same computer, under the same windows login username.  To facilitate them being able connect to their individual email accounts, we setup Email Profiles by going into Control Panel > Mail (in Windows).  We cannot select a default profile so we check the box for "prompt for profile to be used", which should come into play whenever the users opens Outlook or hits a "mailto" or "send to email" button from another application.  The user will see a "choose profile" window appear and they can proceed to enter their username/password upon selection of their Email profile.  Adobe seems to skip the "choose profile" window and will instead choose the first email profile we created on the machine, and ask for its username & password.  Although one might think we could just put in the correct username and password, that does not work since Adobe (or perhaps windows) is trying to authenticate the wrong email account.

6 Replies

Level 10

Acrobat uses Microsofts's MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface) to send an email which doesn't give you any control beyond the basics (as far as I know).

I think you would have to go to separate user logins to do what you want.

Level 9

Thanks-

Do you or does anyone else know of a way to use the MAPILogonEx function that is mentioned in the following Microsoft support page?  Perhaps it is hard-coded and not something that can be changed.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306962

Particularly:

Use the MAPILogonEx function

When you call the MAPILogonEx function without specifying a profile and by setting the MAPI_LOGON_UI flag, MAPI displays the profile creation wizard if no profiles are on the computer. If profiles exist, MAPI displays the Choose Profile dialog box. Click New to start the profile creation wizard. (Since we have profiles created, it should display the choose profile dialog).

----

More information also found here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd296726(v=vs.85).aspx

I'm wondering if our form/adobe is currently using MAPI_PASSWORD_UI which would choose a default profile

Level 10

If you have any programmers on staff it's possible they could write something in VB or something like that to help.

Any reason you're not using separate user accounts? That would be the easiest.

Level 9

We do have two programmers on staff.  I will look into that a bit.

Creating separate user profiles would be a significant undertaking due to our circumstances, and not worth it for a vacation request form alone.

Level 9

This problem does not appear to be with Outlook. The problem appears to be when a computer has more than one Windows e-mail profile, the Adobe software does not cause the Windows "Choose Profile" dialog box to appear. Instead it pops-up a "Windows Security" dialog that chooses a default profile to connect to and does not allow the user to change to the correct profile (see screen prints). Adobe must be using the MAPI_PASSWORD_UI function instead of the MAPI_LOGON_IU which would display a login dialog box and allow the user to choose the correct profile.

If Adobe has a solution for me, I'm listening...

Capture1.PNG

Level 10

You'll probably have to talk to Adobe tech support, I doubt you'll get answers in here!