Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

SendToPrinter - Printer Denied Access

Level 1

Hi guys, I am a support person trying to help out a user of Adobe Livecycle, so I am sorry if my terminology is wrong/vague/etc.

The user has created a process that uses the sendToPrinter function, and he is trying to use a shared network printer in an Active Directory domain. He has setup the print server name and the printer share name in the SendtoPrinter properties, but when he tries to test the process, he gets an error:

Access denied by printer \\server\printer for alias null username null.

I advised him to go into the Trust Store and add his domain user name and password, but it still doesn't work. I think he must need to associate this alias with the process he is working on.

Could someone provide some detailed instructions on how to properly add his username and password, and then make the SendToPrinter process use this info? I have done a lot of searching with out success.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies

Former Community Member

I think it is the access to the printer that is the issue. Can you print from that server that LC is running on?

Paul

Level 1

Yes, we can print to the printer from the Win2K3 box that LC is installed on. The error message says: "access denied for alias null username null" which leads me to believe he needs to get an alias setup that contains his username and password, and somehow assign that alias to the SendToPrinter funtion in his process.

Any ideas?

Former Community Member

The send to printer function will use the name that the LC windows service is running under to do the print. Is that the same user that you were logged on as to do the test? If you are starting your LiveCycle from the services panel you can get this information by looking at the properties for the service and clicking on the LogOn tab.

Paul

Level 1

Thanks for the information.

I am looking into this. But I am not starting my LiveCycle service from the services panel. I am invoking from Adobe LiveCycle Workbench.

Former Community Member

The Winodws LiveCycle service is still running in a context. The request to the printer is coming from that Windows user not the one that has invoked the Print request through LiveCycle. It is that user that needs access to the printer resources.

Are you running JBoss and using the run.bat to start the service? If so then LiveCycle is running as the user who is logged in and who started the run.bat.

Paul