Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Send Information from a Form to a Database

Former Community Member

Is there a way to send certain pieces of form data to fields in an Access Database? I have a form that salesmen fill out to let us know when an order needs changed. I would like to set that form up, so that the people changing the orders can just click a button and the form data will automatically move to the database - thus reducing the amount of manual entry into the database. Can this be done? If so, what do I need to do in order to accomplish this?

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

You can achieve this, but first it is important to ascertain two bits of information:

1. What will the user have to access the form Acrobat OR the free Adobe Reader?
  2. If the user has the free Adobe Reader, then the form will need to be Reader enabled. This can be done in one of two ways: using Acrobat (which will not allow the user to work with the database) OR using the LC Reader Extensions ES2.5 server component (which will allow the user to work with the database).

There is a summary here: http://assure.ly/etkFNU.

Deploy Options 03 - Databases.png

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

My users would be using the free Adobe Reader.  My PC Resources department is currently working to get me access to LC Reader Extensions (I believe version 9.?).  I understand that my users would not be able to fully utilize the form until I got the Reader Extnesions, but what do I need to do to get this set up (so when I do get access, I can roll the form out).

Level 10

Hi,

If you are going to be Reader enabling the forms using the full LC Reader Extensions ES2.5, then your uses will be able to access the data connections to your database.

I don't have any public examples set up, but would strongly recommend you have a look at the posts on Stefan Cameron's website: http://forms.stefcameron.com/. There is a good search there, where you will find useful information on databases, data connections and ODBC.

Good luck,

Niall