Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Security on a PDF?

Level 2

I am new to Designer but for some reason when I  create a form the form is locked to outside users and only a blank copy can be  saved. What I want to do is make it fillable to any user without requiring a  password.

How do I do this? I have checked my Form Properties  and under the security tab I have nothing selected.

9 Replies

Former Community Member

Can you post your form so we can see what you have done?

Paul

Former Community Member

i duplicated your issue but only in Preview mode. Under File/Form Properties/Preview there is a Preview Type dropDown. You have yours set to Print Form instead of Interactive form. This setting has no bearing on the saved PDF....it is onlt applied during preview. If you open the form in Acrobat or Reader then it shoudl be fine. You should change it regardless.

Paul

Level 2

That's were I noticed the problem was in Reader. I was checking my form and it said I can only print my form I can't save it locally. Or I can save a blank form. I need user to be able to fill tout and e-mail it to me.

Former Community Member

So if I understand you correctly you are able to fill the form but you just cannot email it back (using Reader). If this is the case it is because Reader will not allow you to save the form locally without Reader Extending it first. To be able to add an attachment to an email it must be saved first (even if it is in a temp file as it is in this case). If you are distributing to < 500 users then you can use Acrobat to Reader Extend the form before distributing. Load the form in Acrobat and under the Advanced/Extend Features for Adobe Reader menu selection a wizard will start. Just follow the wizard and save the form. Distribute that one. If there are more than 500 users you will need to extend the form using LiveCycle server.

Paul

Level 2

No sorry that's not what I am talking about.

When I view my form in Reader and fill it out and try to save it I get the following dialogue box. See attached.

I can only save a blank copy, I need the user to be able to save the filled out form.

Former Community Member

Yes thats exactly the problem .....Reader Extending will fix the issue.

Paul

Level 2

I don't understand your response. What is "Reader Extending"?

Former Community Member

By default Reader has a certain set of functionality (not equal to Acrobat). You can view PDFs but you cannot save the pdf and data locally. You can enable a specific PDF to allow specific functionality (for that PDF only). That is extending the functionality for Reader hence the name Reader Extensions. Some of the functionality you can extend the Reader for are local save, digital signatures, DB and Soap connections, commenting etc...). As mentioned earlier there is a subset of Reader Extensions functionality in Acrobat. It will enable Digital Signatures and local save ONLY!.

Does that help?

Paul