Expand my Community achievements bar.

Scroll bar in multi-line text field

Level 3

I have a text field that is populated (through event code) with a list of errors that are detected when a user tries to sign a form.  That list can be long, and I had it designed so that if the list was longer than the height of the text box, then scroll bars would appear next to the text box and the user could scroll through the entire list.

I haven't changed anything, but the scroll bars just stopped appearing.  Now the user can only see the top text that fits in the text box, and cannot scroll down to the lower text.  Any idea?  Is there a setting somewhere that controls that, something that perhaps got corrupted that I could fix?  I'm looking around, but do not see anything obvious.

FYI, I have the Allow Multiple Lines option checked.

Thanks,
Emily

4 Replies

Level 10

Probably your form was set to Print form instead of Interactive form..

You can change it by going to File -> Form Properties -> Preview Tab and change the Preview Type as Interactive..

Thanks

Srini

Level 3

Darn, that sounded so promising, but that appears to not be my problem.  I checked, and my settings are as

you recommend.  Any other ideas?

Thanks again,
Emily

Level 10

Check in the Object properties whether you set the object to "Allow Multiple Lines" text..This is needed for to get the scrollbar.

You can post your form to LiveCycle9@gmail.com  so I can have a look at it. Indicate the field which is giving the issue..

Thanks

Srini

Level 3

Figured it out... sort of...

I am not exactly sure what the problem was, but here's how I fixed it, in case anyone has a similar problem.

I thought the problem may be that I had code in my click event for that text field.  That code displayed a message if a user tried to enter text into that read-only field, explaining that the field was automatically populated.  That click event code is relatively new, so I thought that maybe Adobe deactivates the scrollbar when there is a click event for an object, since using the scroll bar requires you to click on the object, and "clicking" now has a different set of actions associated with it.  So,I deleted the click event, and the scroll bar returned!

I thought I was so smart, and had identified both my problem and solution.  Then, just for fun, I decided to try to put the click event code back into the object.  And, much to my surprise, now I have both the click event code, AND I have a working scroll bar.  So now, even though I have fixed my problem, I am not sure what its cause was.  Except maybe there was a bug somewhere?

Anyway, hope that helps, in case someone has a similar problem.  There seems to be some interplay between having a click event and having a scroll bar.

Emily