Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Scripting length limits?

Level 1

I'm building a set of dependant drop-down menus in a form - The first menu will have about 60 choices, and the dependant menus will have about 600 choices (about 8-10 in each menu depending on the choice in the first). I'm trying to do this all in the form script, without linking to an external data source, to avoid any access issues for the end users. Is there an upper limit to custom Javascript length that I need to watch out for, before I spend a few hours putting the coding in? I'm using LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2.

Secondly, if there is a cap on the script length, whats the best/easiest format for datasources (.xls?) other than setting up an .mdb file? There are restrictions on using .mdbs on the network where the files will be primarily used.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Level 10

I have not seen any restriction like that.In our earlier form we have added all the countries in the world in one dropdown and when you select each country, it will populate the City dropdown with all the cities in the selected country. Some of the countries will have more than 10000 entries.

We have passed the entire list in the XML at the time of rendering. and used Java script to display based on the country selected.

Thanks

Srini

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Level 1

This part of the scripting is being done in a script object btw, not added in to an existing object, if that matters.

Correct answer by
Level 10

I have not seen any restriction like that.In our earlier form we have added all the countries in the world in one dropdown and when you select each country, it will populate the City dropdown with all the cities in the selected country. Some of the countries will have more than 10000 entries.

We have passed the entire list in the XML at the time of rendering. and used Java script to display based on the country selected.

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

Thanks - I started working on it the other night just in case, I'd seen some references to a 10k limit on scripting in previous versions but wasn't sure if that was in variable script objects or modifications to regular objects. No limit certainly opens up the possibilities... the form I'm using has three identical category dropdowns, each with 4 sublists based on the primary choice - all the coding is working smoothly so far, with the first 10 of 62 categories fully programmed with sublists.

Former Community Member

There is no artificial limit that Designer imposes but there are physical limits that will affect the performance of your form. You must consider the hardware of the hosting environment of the form.

Paul