Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.
SOLVED

Screen Share Limits

Level 1

If we decide to fully utilize just the screen sharing component is there  a limit.

Does anybody know what are the user limits for Screen Sharing if any?

What are the user limits for each room for screen sharing?

Is  the limit due to the protocol being used at the time? Does it work like the Audio / Video where it uses P2P or does it always  use RTMP?

Thanks,

Homer

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

There isn't any specific limit for screen sharing. Screen sharing uses a video stream as the webcam does so it's subject to the same limitations and usage. If you can use p2p you should be able to screenshare with no server bandwidth usage, otherwise you'll be charged for the used bandwidth.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Correct answer by
Employee

There isn't any specific limit for screen sharing. Screen sharing uses a video stream as the webcam does so it's subject to the same limitations and usage. If you can use p2p you should be able to screenshare with no server bandwidth usage, otherwise you'll be charged for the used bandwidth.

Level 3

Screen sharing uses a video stream? Does that mean that it uses the flash h.263 encoder? Or does it use a different encoder and just uses the video stream as a transport layer? (I was hoping that is used something more akin to VNC)

Employee

It uses a special encoder for screen sharing, but for the transport point of view it's just another type of A/V stream.

Level 2

DO YOU MEAN THAT SO IF I UESE FLASH 10.1 P2P. SCREEN SHARING WILL BE FREE OF COST ?

Level 1

So no upper limits for user.

Assuming that P2P is always free.

Is there a way to turn off the server mode so you don't get charged for the server cost.  Or is it possible to always provide a Peer somewhere that's accessible would that be helpful.  I assume that server usually comes to play in cases where there is firewall issues and P2P isn't allowed.

I should create another thread since you already answered the "no limit" user question.

Level 1

What is a more realistic estimate of ongoing throughput for the screen sharing pod?

Former Community Member

Hi,

Just to clarify at this time, we DO NOT support screen share streaming using p2p. What Raff meant was it is possible and we will take a look on our side on this in future.

All Screen Share Streams as of today go through the server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Former Community Member

As I mentioned earlier, currently p2p is supported only for audio/video streams in LCCS and not screen share streams. So, as of now, there is no way to get free of charge though we provide quite a bit of free usage.

We may revisit providing p2p in future, though we don't have anything immediate on this on our plate.

When we will provide p2p, it will behave in the same manner as audio/video with similar limits. And even when you do p2p ,you still get charged just for connection time.

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Level 1

So since there is no P2P for screen sharing is there a Limit of Users?   And how much bandwidth does a Screen share take per person normally so I can make the appropriate calculations on how much its going to cost per person.