Expand my Community achievements bar.

Radically easy to access on brand approved content for distribution and omnichannel performant delivery. AEM Assets Content Hub and Dynamic Media with OpenAPI capabilities is now GA.

Screen readers announce contents of "Visible (Print Only)" content

Level 2

Hi all,

I wanted to ask about some behaviour that seems wrong.

We have a form that has some content that is only relevant when the document is printed, so the presence has been set to "Visible (Print Only)".

What I expected is that this content would be not only hidden on the screen when opened in Adobe Reader, but the content would also be skipped when screen readers are reading through the document.

Strangely, this content is read aloud.

Can anyone tell me why this happens and what I should do about it?  (other than using something like presence "hidden" that I would have to manage programmatically - that's what I'd like to avoid)

Thanks!

2 Replies

Level 2

Whoa... that is weird!

Do you have anything in the: Accessibility tab / Custom Screen Reader Text field?

From Adobe: "If custom screen reader text is available for the object, the screen reader will read the custom text and not the tool tip."

If so, remove the text in the Custom Screen Reader Text field.

Level 2

Hi thanks for the response!

I agree, it's definitely weird!

No, there is nothing filled in on the accessibility tab for these.

Here is the structure of the content in question:

Subform

text object

text object

All of the above are set to "Visible (Print Only)", and have nothing written in the accessibility tab on either the tool tip or custom screen reader text.

It's a mystery to me... and seems like a bug.  But I"m not sure if it's a bug with the screen readers or with Reader or with LiveCycle Designer.  I have tested this with both Jaws and NVDA, and they both read out this content.