Expand my Community achievements bar.

runtimeMap variable - how to?

Level 10

I wanted to make use of several data created within prepare data service to be available within submit service.

I created a simpel map variable (named map1) and added to the runtimeMap of taskContext object.

Now, how to read the data within the submit service.

Any ideas??

Nith

9 Replies

Level 10

You can't.

I guess you would have to pass the information you're interested in, in some hidden fields. That way they'll get submitted back to the submit service.

Note that you also have the runtimeMap property as part of the TaskContext from the Submit service. The info should be the same.

Jasmin

Level 10

Hi jasmin,

I read the following statement from the help (http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/9.0/workbenchHelp/help.html?topic=000097&topic=001040).

You can also include a map variable as output. The  contents of the map are appended to the runtimeMap data item of the TaskContext value. If you are also  using a custom render service, that service can access the content of the map.

I would like to know how to do this.

Also, there is an output variable named runtimeMap on render & submit services. I also need to access these values from my main process.

Thanks,

Nith

Level 10

I didn't realize you were talking about the Prepare Data process.

In reading the doc, you can probably pass the runtimeMap from the Prepare Data process to the Render Process since they are called one after the other.

I don't beleive you'll be able to get to that information in the main process.

Jasmin

Level 10

To be more clear, I have two questions:

1. runtimeMap variable is used to pass data through Prepare Data process to Render process (which you answered)

2. the submit service has an output variable named runtimeMap. what is the use of this variable?

Thanks,

Nith

Level 8

runtimeMap is used to send info from Prepare Data service (or Render service) to Workspace, and from Workspace to Submit service, and then to the User service (I'm guessing about the User service but it makes sense - maybe more specifically the info goes to TaskManager).

The runtimeMap variable is really only useful if you are using a custom web application (instead of Workspace) to deliver tasks to users. You would only really add values to runtimeMap if your custom web application would be designed to consume them.

Does that make more sense?

scott

Level 10

Well, it gets returned to what ever application invokes the Submit service!

In the case of process management, it uses workspace do to the submission, so I'm assuming workspace receives the results from the Submit service and completes the task. I may or may not do anyting with the value of the runtimeMap. That I don't know. You would have to look in the Workspace source.

Jasmin

Level 8

Thanks Jasmin, I hadn't thought that out too well. Main point is that the values are for Workspace (or for your custom app).

What are you trying to accomplish Nith?

Level 10

Hi Scott,

I have designed a workflow which is almost dynamic. I mean the workflow will function as a workflow based on certain configurations defined in another flex application.

Now, I have one workflow and a number of forms using the same workflow (say 5 forms).

So my process has 5 workspace startpoints in it. If the user chooses third form, the subsequent actors must see the third form rendered.

Since the number of forms are indefinite, I can't create one action profile for each form. So I created one action profile for one generic form and is rendering the PDF based on templatePath variable defined in the workflow.

For now, the dynamic templatePath value is passing through one hidden text field. I prefer saving this information in the runtimeMap and use it in the render/submit processes.

Do you think my idea is hopeless?

Nith

Level 8

Hi Nith,

I think the way you want to use the runtimeMap is not what it was meant to be used for...but the rest of the solution sounds very hopeful  8 )

Using a hidden field on the form is a very common practice for passing around data that is used for processing.

Let us know how it goes....

scott