Expand my Community achievements bar.

Restrict Dates

Former Community Member

With the date field, can you restrict entries to the drop down option (eg not allow users to type their own value)?. If yes, how can it be done?

I also notice that you can enter invalid dates (eg 32/13/2010). Is there a way to stop invalid date entry?

Any help would be appreciated.

6 Replies

Former Community Member

With the date field, can you restrict entries to the drop down option (eg not allow users to type their own value)?. If yes, how can it be done?

Do you want to initialize the date and then prevent modification? If so, initialize the date and make the objected protected or read-only. For example, to initialize to the current date in the format MM/DD/YYYY

// form1.page1.currentDate::initialize - (FormCalc, client)

$.rawValue = Num2Date(Date(), "MM/DD/YYYY")

I also notice that you can enter invalid dates (eg 32/13/2010). Is there a way to stop invalid date entry?

If you add the validation pattern 'date{MM/DD/YYYY}' to date field you can influence the date entered. For a more hands-on approach you could add some script to the exit event such as

// form1.page1.currentDate::exit - (JavaScript, client)

var dateStr = this.formattedValue;

var regExp = /^\d{1,2}\/\d{1,2}\/d{4}$/;

if (!regExp.test(dateStr)) {

xfa.host.messageBox("Please enter the date in the format MM/DD/YYYY.");

}

While this script only validates the pattern, it could be enhanced to parse the month, day, and year for valid ranges.

Steve

Former Community Member

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the response.

Regards,

Jon

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 14:33:36 -0600

To: cazulu3@hotmail.com

Subject: Restrict Dates

Do you want to initialize the date and then prevent modification? If so, initialize the date and make the objected protected or read-only. For example, to initialize to the current date in the format MM/DD/YYYY

// form1.page1.currentDate::initialize - (FormCalc, client)

$.rawValue = Num2Date(Date(), "MM/DD/YYYY")

If you add the validation pattern 'date{MM/DD/YYYY}' to date field you can influence the date entered. For a more hands-on approach you could add some script to the exit event such as

// form1.page1.currentDate::exit - (JavaScript, client)

var dateStr = this.formattedValue;

var regExp = /^\d{1,2}\/\d{1,2}\/d$/;

if (!regExp.test(dateStr)) {

}

While this script only validates the pattern, it could be enhanced to parse the month, day, and year for valid ranges.

Steve

>

Level 7

Hi Steve,

I try to use your script but still I am getting a error(Incorect entered value) even if I enter the correct date pattern as MM/DD/YYYY!

Here are the setting for the date field:

For the date field validation patern I have enter:date{MM/DD/YYYY}

Validation script message checked

Validation pattern message Uncheck.

form1.#subform[0].currentDate::exit - (JavaScript, client)

var

dateStr = this.formattedValue;

var

regExp = /^\d{1,2}\/\d{1,2}\/d{4}$/;

if

(!regExp.test(dateStr)) {

}

What I am doing wrong?

Thanks Steve

Level 10

Two things I did to fix this..

1) I changed the patterns like

Display: date{MMMM D, YYYY}   // You can have any display pattern based on your need.

Edit: date{MM/DD/YYYY} // This is more important because this is the format user types in

Validation: //I removed the pattern for Validation because I am using JavaScript to validate the field input.

2) Changed the script a little to make it work.The code is still in the Exit event of the field.

var dateStr = this.editValue; //Instead of taking the this.formattedValue which gives the Display format, I took the Edit Value.
          //var regExp = /^\d{1,2}\/\d{1,2}\/d{4}$/;
     var regExp =  /^\d{1,2}(\/)\d{1,2}\1\d{4}$/; //Changed the reg expression a bit to make it work.

if(!regExp.test(dateStr)){

xfa.host.setFocus(this); //Setting the focus to the same field.

}

Thanks

Srini

Level 7

Srini thanks for all your

help!

One more question, what will be the: var regExp =  /^\d{1,2}(\/)\d{1,2}\1\d{4}$/;

in case of MM/DD/YY date format?

Thanks

Level 10

For the date format of MM/DD/YY you need to do the following..

Edit Pattern for the Date Field: date{M/D/YY}

and Reg Expression will be

var regExp =   /^\d{1,2}(\/)\d{1,2}\1\d{2}$/;

Thanks

Srini