Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

REQUIRED FIELDS

Level 6

Hello,

I have a form which has several checkboxes.  A couple of them requires a date field to be entered in a box next to it.  If the user checks the box which has a date field box next to it, I want the form to do the following:

1.  Let the user know that they have to enter/pick a date for that box.  The JavaScript I entered is below.

2.  Stop the user from sending the form via email, printing the form and saving the form if the date is not entered in the box. 

I entered the below JavaScript in the click event of the checkbox.  I found it on the internet and it doesn't seem to work.  FYI - I changed the value of the date field boxes to "user optional" and then I changed it to "user required" and it still does not work like I want it.   Can anyone help?

if(this.rawValue == 1)
{
this.parent.warrant.mandatory = "error";
}
else
{
this.parent.warrant.mandatory = "disabled"}

Thank you.

11 Replies

Employee

Not sure where you got this sample script from but it is not completely correct

Here is my sample form

Kosta_Prokopiu1_0-1603696839997.png

The logic is in the check box and looks like this:

if (this.rawValue == 1) {
  DateField1.validate.nullTest="error";
} else {
  DateField1.validate.nullTest="disabled";
}

The result is: the moment I check the box the associated DateField1 becomes mandatory and depending on your Reader settings a red frame shows up:

Kosta_Prokopiu1_1-1603696938768.png

and when you try to submit it will reject

Kosta_Prokopiu1_2-1603696990002.png

Level 6
Hello, That's exactly what I want, but it's still not working. When I check the box it still allows me to send via email, etc. and the red box does not show up when I click the box. At first, I had the "warrant" box as "user required" which showed a red box when I opened the form. Then when I checked the box, the red box disappeared and it allowed me to send, etc. So, I changed it to "user optional" which does not show a red box when you open the form and it also does not become red when I check the box and it still allows me to send, etc. On a separate note, if I just make all date field "user required" without entering a javascript, the form won't allow me to send unless I enter a date in all of the date fields. I don't want that. I only want it to work when I check a specific box that requires a date field in that specific box.

Level 6
Hello, That's exactly what I want, but it's still not working. When I check the box it still allows me to send via email, etc. and the red box does not show up when I click the box. At first, I had the "warrant" box as "user required" which showed a red box when I opened the form. Then when I checked the box, the red box disappeared and it allowed me to send, etc. So, I changed it to "user optional" which does not show a red box when you open the form and it also does not become red when I check the box and it still allows me to send, etc. On a separate note, if I just make all date field "user required" without entering a javascript, the form won't allow me to send unless I enter a date in all of the date fields. I don't want that. I only want it to work when I check a specific box that requires a date field in that specific box.

Level 6
Also, I do not have an email button. Not sure if that's why it doesn't work. I don't want to add an email button either. I would like them to use the email button that is already in acrobat reader,

Employee

Ok, several things:

If you use this PDF in Adobe Reader you will need to have Reader Extensions applied either by using Acrobat Pro or AEM Forms server software - otherwise it will not allow to submit the entered data.

The logic I showed you will only change the state of the field from non-mandatory to mandatory and back and must be in the change event of the check-box - I realized that I did not mention that.

The Send as Email functionality of Reader will also heed the mandatory state of the fields (if they are mandatory) - there should not be a difference to using the Email Submit button.If your logic fails to make a mandatory field mandatory then it is no surprise that it will send the E-Mail right away.

Here is my sample for download https://documentcloud.adobe.com/link/review?uri=urn:aaid:scds:US:2302891b-1ad4-45b7-956b-4df43bb7344...

Level 6
I checked the sample and you have an email button on it which works but I don't want to add an email button to the form. When I click the email envelope, an empty box appears. Can you fix that? Also, should is the object value of your date field block "required" or "optional"?

Employee
As I have mentioned in my post, the E-Mail button is not needed, you should be able to submit also from the built in e-mail functionality. What empty box? When I use the email button I get to select the e-mail client to use.

Level 6
Ok, now I get "select the email client". I had to close and then reopen Reader. My apologies. Shouldn't I get the error message when I try to submit via the built in e-mail button?

Level 6
I checked the sample and you have an email button on it which works but I don't want to add an email button to the form. When I click the email envelope, an empty box appears. Can you fix that? Also, should is the object value of your date field block "required" or "optional"?

Level 6
Good morning. I posted this on 11/11/20 and have not received a response on my question. I'm not sure if I'm posting correctly. Please respond if you are able to see this.......Ok, now I get "select the email client". I had to close and then reopen Reader. My apologies. Shouldn't I get the error message when I try to submit via the built in e-mail button if the box is checked and date box is blank?

Employee

Ok, I show you how the form works here. The Submit button is hidden, I use the E-Mail button upper right only:

Kosta_Prokopiu1_0-1606213348319.png

No Checkbox selected - means no mandatory - E-Mail can be sent:

Kosta_Prokopiu1_1-1606213423978.png

Checkbox selected - means mandatory field - no email can go out unless you fill the field:

Kosta_Prokopiu1_2-1606213469826.png

Kosta_Prokopiu1_3-1606213500553.png

Date filled, E-Mail button clicked, E-Mail can be sent.

Kosta_Prokopiu1_0-1606213767738.png

I cannot explain why this is NOT working for you unless you have made a mistake in your implementation. Did you try my sample not using the Submit button on the form?