Expand my Community achievements bar.

Recording video

Former Community Member

I'm assuming the answer to this is no, but have you listened the community yet and added the feature to persist webcam streams, and play them back later?

This was asked for many times since January (and probably before). Is this feature available yet, or have your marketing guys (managers) still decided that it would compete too closely with acrobat.com - in which case, I'll just use red5 and you get no business (when will they learn)...

4 Replies

Former Community Member

What the?! Man, you have a pretty jaded/uninformed view of the world. We haven't gotten recording and playback to the world yet, but it's number 2 on our feature roadmap (HTTP pub/sub APIs are first). Turns out, it's just REALLY DIFFICULT to get right, and we're taking time among competing priorities - that's just life. There's no conspiracy to keep anyone down here, especially about not competing with acrobat.com, which doesn't have this feature either. Give your head a shake, and maybe the tinfoil hat will fall off.

nigel (the evil "manager")

Former Community Member

Haha,

very funny...

What isn't funny is that your compeitors do this, even with the timelag of reverse engineering (cough cough) observing, your protocols, which I presume was a damn site more difficult.

I assume that if recording streams is taking you this long, and my impatience leads to the comparison to tin-folil hat wearing conspiracy theorist that being equally dissapointed and impatient about the likelihood of getting screensharing anytime soon is probably going to get me comapared to a terrorist. Whatever floats your boat.,,

However, I'll point out that you guys have had these features since breeze, and we've been asking form them since then too. The fact they're not in the community now, nor have they been easily accessible since flashcom is lack of political will on Adobe's part.

That's an observation based on 5 years of experience with your media server products and how you treat your developers. I wish it were a made up conspiracy, but unfortunately it's the very sad truth.

Wowza it is then.

Former Community Member

Hi Infrid,

I totally understand where you're coming from, but it's important to note that we're not the Connect or FMS teams (yes, we're in the same company, so I understand the comparison).

Disagree that reverse-engineering a protocol is as difficult. The challenges in recording and playback of entire apps are numerous, and we never quite got it right in Breeze (I was an architect there for a while, and worked on that feature). We've been working on the feature since February, from the ground up to fix some of the original issues, with a significant hiatus as we brought the product to a commercial release (which people were asking for even more than recording), setting up billing systems and the like. We're hoping to have recording and playback in your hands in the first half of next year. I apologize for making you impatient, but please believe we're on it.

The conspiracy theory part wasn't because you're impatient (that's understandable, and even appreciated), it's because you suggested we were trying to stick it to developers because marketing or management told us to. That's definitely a false assumption, and led to my outburst. I should try to be more even tempered, but it's tough when you're working as fast as you can to do what's right and people are second-guessing your intentions. An honest, human reaction, as was yours. (For the record, I certainly don't see you as a terrorist ;-). So let's stop trying to imagine the politics internally at Adobe - I deal with enough of that on the inside.

respect!

nigel

Former Community Member

Fair do's

I'll take the point that Adobe is Adobe and LCCS isn't FMS... I wish you luck with the product.

infrid