Expand my Community achievements bar.

Questions regarding Adobe Reader Extensions for Adobe Livecycle.

Level 2

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Adobe products, having just started to use Adobe Livecycle over the last couple of weeks. I've produced a set of interactive forms for field engineers to use. When completed, they will submit the xml data via email. However, there will be numerous occasions where they will need to stop in the middle of data collection and come back at a later point to finish, hence the need to locally save the information before submission.

I understand this is where Adobe reader extensions would come in, unlocking this functionality.

At the moment, i'm a bit of a loss on several points regarding how reader extensions work and i was wondering if anybody could fill in the gaps:

1. Are they seperate modules that bolt in into the main Livecycle application?

2. As these forms will be used off line, i would like to set the permissions to the pdf locally. From what i read, Reader Extensions is a server product. Is this correct, or can i use Reader Extensions to set these permissions before publishing the adobe form?

3. Where can i get hold of Reader Extensions and how much do they cost? I have been reading information on similar topics on this forum (dating 3-4 years ago) that say reader extensions are comparitavely expensive to a Adobe Pro/Livecycle licence. ($50,000 upwards) Is this correct? If so, is there a cheaper alternative to achieve the same outcome?

I hope someone can shed some light on these points!

Thanks in advance.

Rob

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Reader Extensions can be bought as a module in LiveCycle. There is a subset of RE functionality that exists in Acrobat. The ability to save locally is part of Acrobat. In both cases you woudl RE the form before distributing it, hence when the user gets your form they are ready to go. You can download a trial version of the server product. As far as pricing goes you woudl be better to talk to an Adobe salesrep as there are discounts for certain situations as well as different pricing options. If you decide tp gp the Acrobat route you ar limited, by licence, to distribute your form to a max of 500 users.

Hope that helps

Paul

Level 2

So if you only need this for one form

and three users are you better off just to buy Acrobat Pro for

three users?  There is not any more alternatives for database connections?

Level 2

Actually, i got the answer from the sales rep.

You can unlock a form in Adobe Pro to allow users to save it halfway through. It's part of the functionality of the application and doesn't require reader extensions. I believe this only applies if the number of users is high, which in my case, isn't.

Cheers

Rob