Expand my Community achievements bar.

Preview tab locks up LiveCycle

Level 4

Out of the blue today, anytime I click on the preview tab to check a form being developed, the preview appears then LiveCycle locks up and I have to use Ctrl-Alt-Del to close the program.

I have used LiveCycle for years, using three versions, without this incident. Anyone else experience this sudden behavior?

3 Replies

Level 7

I've also run into this problem. It seems to be related to Acrobat freezing, causing the entire app to then freeze. Sometimes rebooting helps. Sometimes starting Acrobat before Designer helps. Sometimes nothing helps...

Level 4

A little more trial and error reveals that having Adobe Acrobat running before LiveCycle does not help.

Checking the Windows Activity Monitor shows that the process, FormDesigner.exe*32 is consuming about 88 - 98 percent of all CPU resources when going to preview mode.

As Designer has been used on this same machine without incident since 2012, and that no major system changes or upgrades were made recently, debugging this sudden problem is well above my capabilities. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Level 10

Hi,

I have had something like this happen since moving to Designer ES3, can you try Designer ES2?  Otherwise, try these steps

• do a preview in Designer, it will die but will produce a file in your temp directory (type %temp% in the address bar of Windows Explorer), the file will have a generated name like _d0g26dao491323gh.pdf
  • open Acrobat, and make sure the JavaScript option "When exception is thrown" is set to break.
  • from Acrobat open the temporary file created by the preview (you can't double click the .pdf file from Windows Explorer, or Acrobat will die like Designer does)

So it seems to be if an JavaScript exception is thrown in one of the events before the form becomes visible.

Good luck

Bruce