Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

PrePrint

Level 4

How would I script a prePrint event if I don't want a subform to print if the fields inside it are empty?

4 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

to prevent user from printing you can use the validate element in the config DOM.

Here's an article which descibes how to use it.

http://forms.stefcameron.com/2008/04/13/prevent-printing-pdf-forms-in-acrobat-8/

Level 4

I don't want to restrict printing by the user unless the fields are filled, I want the subforms that have unfilled fields to not print on the document. I probably didn't explain it well.

Let me try again.... I have a form with a visible subform with fill in fields and there is a checkbox in front of the first field. If that checkbox isn't checked and the fields are empty, I don't want that subform to print. Does that make sense?

Level 10

Hi,

I use a function like the one below to test for a subform containing empty fields, so you could pass in the subform and if you get a true response set the presence property of the subform to "hidden".

function isNull(node)

{

//Debug.trace(arguments);

var result = true;

switch (node.className)

{

case "exclGroup":

case "field":

result = node.isNull;

break;

}

for (var i=0; i<node.nodes.length && result; i++)

{

var childNode = node.nodes.item(i);

if (childNode.isContainer && childNode.className !== "draw" && childNode.className !== "variables")

{

result = isNull(childNode);

}

}

return result

}

Depending on how complicated your subform is it might just be simplier to test the fields individually.

Bruce

Level 3

Now, if I could get someone to take my form and show me how to do one of the subforms on it, this would be awesome!  LOL