Expand my Community achievements bar.

Possible to use JavaScript to Import Data from XML file to pre-fill fields?

Level 4

Hi,

I have a dynamic fill-in PDF that I want to "pre-fill" internally in my company before sending out to users who will change any pre-filled fields necessary and answer questions we did not already answer.

We do not have LiveCycle Reader Extensions, but we can use Acrobat to import data from an XML document to pre-fill the named fields.  Is it possibly to do this task using folder-level Javascript or some other method?  I can look into this, and post my findings, but I'd like to know if it's possible or if I need to use a different programming language.

3 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

I can't check now, so I am not sure. I suspect not, but...

I developed a scripted import XML solution that worked when the form was digitally signed. This certified the PDF and the scripted import worked.

May be worth checking out,

Niall

Level 4

Interesting, Niall. Is that solution on your website for download or is it proprietary?  I looked on the PDFscripting website, and they have developed a folder-level script that adds a new toolbar element in Acrobat that shows a combo box of options (clients, for example) that when the user selects the form pre-fills accordingly.  So I know it's possible, and I'll see what I can put together. 

Level 10

Hi,

I am afraid that solution was for a specific client and I can't share it. If I get a chance I will mock up an example, but this wont be for a while. From memory it was just a straight importData method. This would normally fail silently in a non-certified form, but when the form is digitally signed/certified, it works without a hitch.

Good luck,

Niall