Expand my Community achievements bar.

Popup Notifications - RM 8.0.1

Level 1

Our custom install of Rights Management is used to protect PDF files but they are set to open for anonymous users. Our solution is supposed to allow for the PDF to be placed online and viewable by anyone. Until recently this was working great. When a PDF was placed online it would just open in the browser/reader plugin as long as the viewer was online. We just recently noticed that the online PDF's are now showing the visitors a pop up stating a notification that the PDF will be reaching out through the internet to transmit data. We've seen these pop ups in the past and were told by Adobe they were required if the PDF was opened outside the browser/online environment, but not for the online PDF's. Does anyone know if a change has been made or know how to turn the popups off? The viewer is online when viewing the file and such notifications seem erroneous.

2 Replies

Former Community Member

I believe the notification is expected.  Does the policy you are using have the "Auditing" feature enabled.  I know that if this is enabled a message is displayed informing users that their actions (i.e. viewing the doc, printing the doc etc) will be tracked and sent back to the server.  The message is required for "privacy" requirements.

Also, I'm taking an educated guess here but the version of Reader may be a cause.  Maybe different versions handle the dialogs differently.

Regards

Steve

Employee

Behavior in recent versions of Reader have changed this a bit, as starting in ~November 2010 we consolidated dialogs and information presented to the user. Customer administrators have the discretion whether information should be presented to the end user (check the server settings whether audit/privacy information is presented to the end user). If administrators decide to show this information to end users, then the end user can change the client behavior from "show ever time" to "show only once" by clicking a checkbox in the modal dialog along the lines of "Don't bother me again".