Expand my Community achievements bar.

Populate second drop down box based on selection from first drop down box

Level 2

Hello, I have a situation involving a drop down box with 9 items to choose from. What I want to do is depending on which of the 9 items the client chooses, this will determine what items are populated in the second drop down boxes (the items in the second drop down box will be mirrored on 9 other drop down boxes).

For example, my first list box would be titled Review Type and there would be MF, VA, FA, etc. If the MF was selected, then the 10 boxes below (all drop-downs) will be prepopulated with a specifc selection of topics and if they chose VA then another set of topics would be prepopulated.

Can you please point me out on the proper script to accomplish this? I don't have a xml/data source to connect to so I will be manually inputting the choices.  Thanks!

Header 1Header 2

7 Replies

Level 2

Ignore columns above. The table I tried to create as an example didn't come through properly. Thanks!

Level 10

Hi,

The event you are looking for is the preOpen event of the dropdowns. It would look back at the values of the previous dropdowns and then populate the items in the dropdown 'just in time' before the dropdown opens.

Here is a sample: https://acrobat.com/#d=cS2B8Nj17CFbw1D9-BAnQA albeit is based on checkboxes. Same approach would work.

Hopethat helps,

Niall

Level 2

I came across a sample of a script that seems to do what I want it to however I can't seem to get it to work all the way through.  It only compiles the items from the 1st case and not the 2nd or 3rd case.  If I click on the 1st case, it will not clear if I click on the 2nd or 3rd case. The items from the 1st case stays static and shows up for other cases.  However if I open the form and click on the 2nd or 3rd case first, it's blank and nothing shows up. Can you please help me out with any fixes to this problem?  Please help!!

Here's the script:

switch (this.rawValue)

{

case "General Client File Review":

ft1.clearItems();

ft1.rawValue

= null;

ft1.addItem("UBIS New Account Application");

ft1.addItem("Suitability Update Form");

ft1.addItem("Trust Certification Form");

ft1.addItem("Corporate Account Form");

ft1.addItem("Partnership Account Form");

ft1.addItem("LLC Account Form");

break;

case "529 Plan":

ft1.clearItems();

ft1.rawValue

= null;

ft1.addItem("529 College Plan Disclosure");

ft1.addItem("Vendor Application");

ft1.addItem("Fund Direct Addition Form");

ft1.addItem("Investment Replacement Form");

ft1.addItem("RT Transaction Approval");

break;

case "Direct Held Mutual Fund":

ft1.clearItems();

ft1.rawValue

= null;

ft1.addItem("Mutual Fund Disclosure");

ft1.addItem("FINRA MF Expense Analyzer");

ft1.addItem("Vendor Application");

ft1.addItem("Fund Direct Addition Form");

ft1.addItem("Investment Replacement Form");

ft1.addItem("RT Transaction Approval");

break;

}

Level 10

Hi,

It would help if you could share the form or at least the part dealing with these objects.

Either upload to a file sharing site or PM me to email the form directly.

Niall

Level 2

Hi Niall, thanks for your help! I was going to send the part of the form for you to review and I figured it out along the way.  I had other scripts preceding this that prevented this new script from working.  All I did was reverse the order and it works wonderfully!  Thanks!!

Level 1

i too would like to know the answer.

I have a form  where drop down box1 has 3 choices.

dependent on what you choose it needs to be in box 2

like box 1 choices

asses and approve

assess

none   if you choose assess and approve your choices in box2 need to be  A B or c

If you choose assess then only  d,e,f are your choices

if None then G only as a choice.

how can i do this?  I never had an issue. i tried it in Adobe DC pro and Adobe AEM 6.2

never had this issue in adobe pro 11. just cannot for the life of me figure this out

please help.