Expand my Community achievements bar.

peer to peer connection

Level 1

Hi

i am new to LCCS and want to build a basic collabration tool having a camera, whiteboard and audio. I have gone through some examples where by the use of mxml tags i am able to create sample collaboration application. Let me know whether the video and the audio sent is a peer to peer connection or its going through hub. If not please give me some idea where to start by using the sdk for establishing a peer to peer connection for creating a collabration application.

Thanks.

Vijay.

1 Reply

Former Community Member

Hi Vijay,

If you are using player 10 swc or higher, then your connection is automatically p2p unless one of the user is having a player version less than 10, a non-rtmfp connection or is behind a firewall. If you are using player 10 swc, we have a limit of 3 streams that can be sent over p2p. If the number of streams exceed more, then everyone would be seamlessly switched to hub-spoke from p2p. You can also use some events and properties to determine whats the current connection or when the change from p2p to hub-spoke or vice versa happens.

An example that shows this in details is PeerToPeerRtmfp in sampleApps folder. Take a deep look at the example as well as run that.

You can also increase the limit to more than 3 by changing maxP2PStreamPublish in StreamManager. However, this may not be practically feasible due to bandwidth or other restrictions to have too many streams with p2p. Also you should look at the documentations of StreamManager, AudioPublisher/Subscriber and WebcamPublisher/Subscriber for better understandings of properties and events.

In case you are using player 10.1 swc, you can use p2p with multicast. However, player 10.1 is still kind of beta with no source files available. So, unless you have multicast requirements, player 10 swc is a better option for debugging.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Hironmay Basu