Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

PDF417 or QR code forms

Level 2

So after much struggling and help i have finally cracked a workable form with QR code or PDF417 barcode.

The problem is i now do not know how to make it usable from Adobe reader or any other PDf reader.

Can anyone help me out with this please?

Thanks

Weezy

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

you'll need LiveCycle Barcodes Forms Solution to make the forms work with Adobe Reader.

If this also will work with third party Readers – I don't think so.

http://www.adobe.com/products/server/pdfs/adobe_barcoded_paper_forms_solution_customer_faq.pdf

Level 2

So is this an extra module or is it part of siftware bundel?

I have never heard of it

Level 10

It's part of the very expensive LiveCycle server solution.

If you don't have LiveCycle servers, forget about bar codes.

Level 10

What are you trying to do with the barcode? You should be able to fill in data in Reader, have it populate a barcode and then use a barcode reader to extract the data.

Without the LiveCycle Barcodes server you are limited in what you can do. I think you need to keep the data plain text (no compression, etc.).

I've experimented with them a few times but we've never actually put them into action.

Level 6

What's allowed in Reader depends on the type of bar code symbol that's being used. 1D bar code fields will work with Reader without the document needing to be enabled with LiveCycle Reader Extensions, but for 2D bar codes to work with Reader the document has to have the corresponding usage right applied.

Level 4

Weezy,

Getting dynamic 2D barcoded forms can be tricky... you need to use an Adobe Reader on Mac or Windows and then have the file Reader-extended. As I've seen a number of posts on this, I put together a blog post (actually a series on barcoded forms) that can be found at Datalogics. Take a look and I hope that it will answer your questions in more depth. If not, just leave a comment on the blog and I'll address it. Sorry it took so long to answer your question; I had to finish off a document that I was writing on this and decided to serialize in blog form.

Level 10

Thanks Chuck, great info.

It had been a while since I played around with barcodes and couldn't remember everything involved.