Expand my Community achievements bar.

PDF too large

Level 2

I have a one page form I scanned it at 90K. The form has a lot of edits and was Reader Extended. The file size has ballooned to 3.8MB and is too large to distribute. The space usage audit report says that 98% is "document overhead". When I attempt to reduce the file size, I get the message: "This PDF document has been digitally signed. The size of digitally signed files cannot be reduced. Click continue to create optimized file without the digital signature." I select to make it compatible with version 7 upwards, save the file, but the resulting file is the same size. When I examine the newly created file, it says it is still "digitally signed".

How do I undo the digital signature so I can reduce the file size?

What could be creating all this overhead? (I am not embedding any fonts and there are no images.) Thanks.

3 Replies

Former Community Member

Applying Reader Extensions is digitally signing the doc ....you might try optimizing the doc before you add the Reader Extensions to it. Also which version of Reader Extensions are you using? Finally if this is an image why are you Reader Extending it....what functionality are you attempting to activate?

Paul

Level 2

Paul: Thanks for the rapid response. I am using Acrobat Pro 9 (I don't see where I specify the version of Reader Extension other than choosing Reader 7 and above). This is a one page government form where part 1 is completed by the employee and part 2 is completed by the employer. I used Reader Extensions so the employee using only Acroboat Reader could save the form after completing it and email the form (and data) back to the employer.  Then the employer opens the form in Reader, completes part 2, prints and saves it for archival purposes.

While there is only one page, there are a lot of complex edit checks. I have several field level edits and then one large edit program triggered by a button.

I optimized the scanned form prior to writing my scripts. I was midway through writing the scripts when I started unit testing and applied Reader Extensions. I didn't notice the file size exploding right away. Does Reader Extension typically increase file size more than tenfold?

Former Community Member

Ok that tells me what I need to know .....can you send the form to my email address so I can have a look at what is happening? I would want the non-ReaderExtended version of the form. You can send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com

Paul