Expand my Community achievements bar.

PDF to Word

Level 1

An application we are going to develop had a requirement to allow users to interact with MS word files. We have adobe livecycle product that we plan to use to generate pdf's. Is there a programmatic way to convert the generated pdf to word format?

Thanks much

6 Replies

Level 8

Yes, LiveCycle PDF Generator ES has an opertion called ExportPDF2 which allow you to convert from PDF to other formats (including DOC)

Level 1

Thanks much for your reply. Can you help point me to that api? I did go through  quite a few online api docs but was not able to locate any reference to this.

Level 1

Thanks Hodmi. That answers my question as I stated it earlier. It appears that we will be installing livecycle on solaris. Does the ExportPDF2 api work with openoffice to convert to MS word format? Does a solaris install limit the conversion capability?

thanks much !!!

Level 8

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't believe that the ExportPDF2 operations use the native applications for conversion (it does use them to convert from the native application to PDF, however).  In any case Adobe does support the use of OpenOffice on Unix platforms.

To Voyage Funny:

Adobe's PDF Generator is designed for converting large numbers of files (thus the server side scalability, high availability, etc.).  Besides that, I don't think Adobe would appreciate advertising clone software on their forums.

Level 2

Here are a few clarifications. Hodmi is right that the ExportPDF2() method (or the ExportPDF2 operation) can convert PDF to Doc, but it is supported only when LiveCycle is installed on Windows. This method uses Acrobat to perform the conversion. It doesn't use Microsoft Word or OpenOffice.