Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

PDF "Save-As"

Level 1

I created an editable pdf from our job application, so that a person can "fill it out", save to computer and attach to a web page form that i created so it sends to email address as attachment.

It all works great until I tested on a PC without LiveCycle installed.   It says it can only save a blank copy.  This doesn't work or help my cause!

Is there a way to let anyone with Adobe Reader to fill out the PDF and save it to their computer to attach the file?

The reason I did it this way is because if I added a "Send to email" button, it would attach to an email, and the job applicant may be at a Library or Job Agency where they don't have an email client; or more yet, the applicant may not have an email address to send from...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

When you say 'LiveCycle installed' I assume you are referring to Acrobat Professional.

Is there a way to let anyone with Adobe Reader to fill out the PDF and save it to their computer to attach the file?

Acrobat has it all. You can fill-and-save forms, import/export data, make a connection to a database, call Web Services, and use digital signatures, amongst a host of form-related features.

If your users have Reader and you want the same form functionality that is enabled by Acrobat, then you are required to use LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES to rights-enable a PDF. LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES is a server-based solution component. When a user opens a PDF that has been rights-enabled, Reader behaves like Acrobat. The most common use of Reader Extensions ES is to enable a PDF with local save so Reader clients can fill interactive PDF forms and save locally.

The exception to the rule is the feature in Acrobat Pro Extended that enables you to extend forms in the same manner as LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES. Go to the toolbar, click Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader. There is a sub-set of rights that can be enabled in a PDF form. There are licensing limitations imposed, however.

Steve

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

When you say 'LiveCycle installed' I assume you are referring to Acrobat Professional.

Acrobat has it all. You can fill-and-save forms, import/export data, make a connection to a database, call Web Services, and use digital signatures, amongst a host of form-related features.

If your users have Reader and you want the same form functionality that is enabled by Acrobat, then you are required to use LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES to rights-enable a PDF. LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES is a server-based solution component. When a user opens a PDF that has been rights-enabled, Reader behaves like Acrobat. The most common use of Reader Extensions ES is to enable a PDF with local save so Reader clients can fill interactive PDF forms and save locally.

The exception to the rule is the feature in Acrobat Pro Extended that enables you to extend forms in the same manner as LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES. Go to the toolbar, click Advanced > Extend Features in Adobe Reader. There is a sub-set of rights that can be enabled in a PDF form. There are licensing limitations imposed, however.

Steve

Level 1

Thanks!  This helped me with a project big-time.

I opened the pdf form in Adobe Acrobat, clicked "Advanced > Enable Usage Rights in Adobe Reader".

enable-scrn.gif

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----