Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

PDF in browser: launch web page in new window/tab

Level 2

Good morning all,

Our forms use the hyperlink functionality and the desired result is to have the web page launch in a new browser window, or tab, when viewing the PDF in a browser. When the web page opens in the same window, the form data is lost after hitting the back button to return to the form content.

The current alternative is to use xfa.host.launchURL() function however we're wondering if there is a Preference setting in Reader we could enable/disable instead. Most of the links are text embedded in paragraph so hyperlinks work and look really good.

Changing the internet options of the browser is not an option for us.

Also looked at Reader's Edit | Preferences | Documents | Open Cross-document Links in Same Window which appears quite promising based on the Help's description:

Open Cross-document Links In Same Window
Closes the current document and opens the document being linked to in the same window, minimizing the number of windows open. If the document being linked to is already open in another window, the current document is not closed when you click a link to the open document. If you do not select this option, a new window opens each time you click a link to a different document.

But for some reason I can't explain, the web page still opens in the same window after disabling the cross-document option. So maybe I should rephrase my question and ask if someone knows any reason why option doesn't work?

Thanks much!

Hélène

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi Hélène,

I don't know of any option to force hyperlink behaviour when the form is opened in a browser.

Have a look at George's suggestion to use a button without fill or border over the text: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1342426#1342426

It is a bit of double handling and you need to maintain the button in the correct position. However it does give you greater control in forcing a new browser window/tab.

The open cross-documents preference didn't work for us either.

When testing forms here we see a big difference in behaviour between different browsers and OS. So while you may get a hyperlink working in IE, the same solution may not work in other browsers. On balance I think overlaying a button would be the most robust.

Good luck,

Niall

Level 2

Thanks Niall.

We did consider this option however it was turned down given some of our forms can have 50+ links and the maintenance would be a nigthmare.

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback.

Hélène