Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

PDF Form causes Adobe Reader X to crash after filling specific field

Former Community Member

I posted this in the Reader forum, but it was suggested I post here since the form was created with LiveCycle:

I've recently upgraded to Adobe Reader X on some of our systems.  Now I have a user unable to fill out a form without reader crashing.  I've duplicated the issue on my PC, and confirmed that the form is functional with Reader 9.4.1 running on another system.

The pdf we're having issues with is here:

http://www.ime.state.ia.us/docs/CrossOverProfessional.pdf

Usersa re able to fill out everything up to the field #21, titled "Billed Amount".  When a dollar amount is entered in this field, adobe reader crashes.  If I skip this field, reader also crashes when a dollar amount is entered in field #22, Allowed amount.  All other fields on the page can be filled out without issue.

This document does seem to do some data verification as you leave a field, checking to confirm the data entered is the right number of digits, alpha or numeric, dates in the correct format, etc.  I suspect whatever type of checks it's trying to do on these two dollar amount fields must be causing the error.

Is this a bug in how Reader X handles forms created in previous versions of acrobat?  Short of asking for the form to be updated, is there anything I can do to make this work with Reader X, or do I need to roll back to version 9 for now?

Thanks!

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

I have had a quick look and I think the validate script could do with a bit of revision. The main purpose could be achieved by using a textfield and a display pattern. Also the language is FormCalc but the script includes "this.rawValue", which is Javascript syntax. The equivalent in FormCalc is "$".

So I think I would replace the field with a numericfield object and delete most (if not all) of the validation script.

Good luck,

Niall

Assure Dynamics