Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

Paperforms barcodes

Former Community Member

So, pretty simple. Im trying to take an existing form and put a paperforms barcode on it that collects data from one field (the form was created in LC). It seems pretty straight forward only the barcode errors telling me that the script collection doesnt exist and to create a collection. I created an object collection referencing paperforms barcodes. However the paperform barcode shows as greyed (unsupported) in the collection list. Either I need an upgrade or Im doing it wrong. Any tips would be very helpful

Thanks

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

A grey PaperFormBarcode object indicates one of three issues:

1) the client opening the barcoded form is a version of Reader/Acrobat before 7.0.5

2) the data capacity of the barcode has been exceeded

3) the form has been opened in Reader and the barcoded form has not been Reader-extended for barcoded forms.

Steve

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Former Community Member

Dave,

I think it is a problem with the order in which you create and define the collection.

I recommend using a custom encoding for a PaperFormsBarcode to optimize the data capacity. The attached form contains two barcodes. The upper barcode uses a collection and the lower barcode is a custom encoding. When scanned and decoded they both produce the same pipe-delimited content, except the custom encoding is upper-case.

Steve Walker|345 Park Avenue|San Jose|CA|95110|

STEVE WALKER|345 PARK AVENUE|SAN JOSE|CA|95110|

The calculation script on the barcode created with a collection contains 317 lines of code. The calculation script on the barcode created with a custom script contains 36 lines of code. So there is a potential maintenance issue as well.

Most important is the use of a single case in a PaperFormsBarcode. Case is the biggest single factor impacting barcode data capacity in a PDF417 barcode and the primary reason not to encode XML, if data capacity is the primary objective. The encoder has to include case switching characters when mixed case is encountered.

Untitled.png

Steve

Former Community Member

Thanks for the example. What I am doing is pretty simplistic. The forms we use have PDF417 barcodes on them indicating a document type. We have a system that scans the forms and a user enters a 7 digit employee number. We are developing a hot folder system that will read all barcodes on an electronic form and if I can capture the employee id on the form with a PaperFormsBarcode it will fully automate the process.

So, for the order I would create the collection first then attach the barcode?

Thanks again.

Dave

Former Community Member

After dropping a PaperFormsBarcode on the form the default properties are....

Untitled.png

Click the drop-down Collection and select <<New/Manage Collection...>>.

Untitled1.png

Click New and enter the collection name.

Untitled3.png

Click Modify.

Untitled4.png

Select the specific field you want to include in the barcode collection. In my case I selected poNum.

Untitled5.png

Click OK and you should be done.

Based upon the default barcode properties and my barcode collection my barcode encodes the barcode label and the poNum.

Label poNum

9f44b1d2-b861-4270-8aea-5a5248bfdf00 0921084334

Steve

Former Community Member

Steve,

Almost there. I can now get the field to map just fine. Problem is, the barcode goes blank (turns into a big gray square) when I enter data into the mapped field on the completed form. What did I miss?

Thanks

Dave

Correct answer by
Former Community Member

A grey PaperFormBarcode object indicates one of three issues:

1) the client opening the barcoded form is a version of Reader/Acrobat before 7.0.5

2) the data capacity of the barcode has been exceeded

3) the form has been opened in Reader and the barcoded form has not been Reader-extended for barcoded forms.

Steve

Former Community Member

Im using Reader 9. The barcode data is only about 9 characters and the red x indicating too much data for the barcode was not evident in the design. How do you extend the for the reader? I believe the sample you sent me was showing a gray block as well.

Thanks

Dave

Former Community Member

You Reader-extend barcoded forms using LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES. Alternatively you file the barcoded form using Acrobat.

Steve

Former Community Member

So for clarification. My company would need to purchase LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES to distribute forms that could be filled out in the free reader,  or anyone filling out the form would need a full copy of Acrobat 9 or something like that?

Thanks

Dave

Former Community Member

Correct. To capture data in a barcode using the PaperFormsBarcode requires either

1) users to fill barcoded forms in Acrobat, or

2) the barcoded form to be Reader-extended using LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES/ES2 for users who have Adobe Reader

Steve

The following has evaluated to null or missing: ==> liqladmin("SELECT id, value FROM metrics WHERE id = 'net_accepted_solutions' and user.id = '${acceptedAnswer.author.id}'").data.items [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 41] ---- Tip: It's the step after the last dot that caused this error, not those before it. ---- Tip: If the failing expression is known to be legally refer to something that's sometimes null or missing, either specify a default value like myOptionalVar!myDefault, or use <#if myOptionalVar??>when-present<#else>when-missing. (These only cover the last step of the expression; to cover the whole expression, use parenthesis: (myOptionalVar.foo)!myDefault, (myOptionalVar.foo)?? ---- ---- FTL stack trace ("~" means nesting-related): - Failed at: #assign answerAuthorNetSolutions = li... [in template "analytics-container" at line 83, column 5] ----