Expand my Community achievements bar.

Page Extraction from PDF

Level 1

I have an interactive pdf that I need to be able to extract pages from, however neither Acrobat Reader 9 or Acrobat Pro 9 will let me do this (the option is grayed out). Is there a way to make this work without having to use a separate program or pdftk?

Any suggestions appreciated!

4 Replies

Former Community Member

If you are trying to change the document with Acrobat Pro, you can't as the file is an XFA based PDF form created with Adobe LiveCycle Designer ES.

If you open the PDF in Adobe LiveCycle Designer (this ships and is installed with Acrobat Pro), you can make changes and save the form back out as a PDF.

Regards

Steve

Level 1

That's not really feasible beacause the people who need to extract the

pages won't have access to livecycle.

basically it's a form that has 12 image fields but not all of them

will always be necessary so I'd like a way to not have blank pages

when the form is done being filled out.

-Carlie

Level 4

You can Flatten you interactive PDF (using Output ES for example) and after that your users will be able to extract pages.

Output can flat both XFA and Acroforms.

This would require an interface to allow your end-users to consume the service without using a development tool.

This could be as simple as a watched folder shared somehere in the network or a email endpoint, no nedd to use complex web sites.

edit: If all you want to do is eliminate the empty pages then you don't need to extract pages. Create a flowed subform, allow it to repeat and add a buton to add instances. You have N exemples of that here in the foruns, usually with tables.

Level 1

Thanks for the suggesting using flowed subforms, that seems to be ideal. I've been referring to this form df1-v1-flow-working.pdf from this discussion http://forums.adobe.com/message/2024307#2024307  but having a really hard time taking what he's done and putting it to practice in my form. I don't really understand the hierarchy or how things are supposed to be arranged/called.

Can anyone point me to a step by step guide or tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

I attached my pdf.

edit: it turns out i did have it working, i just needed to save the file as a dynamic pdf, which i wasnt aware of. and now it works! hooorah