Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Overlay on Webcam Video

Level 2

Hello all,

I confess I'm still a total newbie with Flex so I'm more or less throwing this out there to get an idea of technical capability.  I'm trying to create a mobile flex application that first overlays a simple cut-out of a person on top of a live video stream from the front facing camera before doing a 2-way chat.  The idea is to help users all have the same mobile chat experience (i.e. I want their face taking up most of the display) - is this technically possible?

Would any generous soul be willing to give a newbie some pointers?

Humbly,

Trevor

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi Trevor,

Are you talking about a "picture in picture" type display? I'm not sure I

understand the part about "a simple cut-out" overlay.

nigel

Level 2

More or less a "mask" - I'm thinking perhaps just temporarily putting a transparent .PNG on top of the video feed? Would Flex permit that?

Ideally, I'd like to also do real-time video effects like Flash permits:

http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cfm/2005/9/29/Live-video-effects-in-Flash-8--a-small-demo-app

But I think I would have to make the whole application in Flash if I wanted to do that, and I'm not confident the iPhone has enough processing power to do that.