Expand my Community achievements bar.

Other billing plan/model options for LCCS

Level 3

Hi Folks,

I've built and deployed a chat program for a small support company for internal status chat between techs on internal help desk app.   The connect time is high, but the chat bandwidth and message usage is extremely low.  In beta and testing we were not using anywhere near the $15 per month, but now we burn through that in about 4 days.  Is there any other option where I can change the billing plan to be based upon upon message / bandwidth usage and not upon connect time.

I know this was all discussed early on in AFCS.  My other deployed chat application is a tutor student chat, where office hours are limited and students are logged out after inactivity.

If I can't get the cost down, the client will nix the chat client on their help desk app. 

Please help.

Doug

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi Doug,

As you mentioned, we've been discussing this issue for a while now internally as we've seen more and more customers looking to implement a presence/chat system with LCCS, where by definition the clients are continuously connected.

The only immediate option right now is to move to a concurrency model -- http://blogs.adobe.com/collabmethods/2010/04/have_it_your_way.html.  Whether this option will work for you or not depends on the size of your install base.  It may not work at 10 or 20 users, but it could work at larger volumes.

If you'd like to discuss this or explore other options, send us a note at lcss (at) adobe.com.

Thanks,

Fang

Level 3

Fang,

Thanks for taking the time.  Having the LCCS team answer up consistently has made the difference whether or not I can deploy product.

I talked to the end customer.  The use case is pretty much as you outlined: a presence chat system, there are less than a couple of dozen messages per day and 10-20 people in the company (the whole company) logged in at any time.

Taking a look at the options, it is as you implied: none of the options fit the end customer's usage model.  They are willing to pay under $50 per month, but certainly not $100 per month for this chat feature in their app. 

Is there anywhere else I can take this query?  From my point of view, I've written a low cost app which delivers the promise of LCCS, but go forward I can't use it.  I certainly can't sell the me a cometd or any alternative backend implementation.

Any input will be much appreciated.

--Doug