Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Only want to send from Reader not save

Former Community Member

I have a form which people using Reader will

be filling in and emailing back to me, so I've used the 'Enable User rights ' in Acrobat 8.

When you go to submit the data via email in Reader it wants to save the file first, is there a way of avoiding this, I only want the sender to email it to me so that I can save it somewhere on the server, don't need everybody else also saving it somewhere on the server.

Thanks

Ian

6 Replies

Level 10

Hi Ian,

Submit be email will require Reader to save the form first, there is no way around this. This is why the form has to be Reader Enabled before deployment.

If you changed the submit to 'Submit XML' then the form would not need to be saved and you would just get back the user inputted data. You would then process the data on receipt, for example import it back into the form using Acrobat 8.

Good luck,

Niall

Former Community Member

To be able to attach a file to an email there has to be a file. That is why the save has to happen first.

Paul

Former Community Member

Thank you Paul & Niall.

I have discovered that if I don't use the 'Signature' field then I'm not asked to save the document, it automatically attaches to the email, so the issue seems to be more related to that type of field rather than Adobe needing to save the file before attaching, so perhaps my answer is to remove the signature field but would have preferred to have kept it and found a work around.

If anyone has any further ideas it would be appreciated.

Once again thanks for the assistance.

Ian

Level 10

Hi Ian,

A couple of things, Paul can correct me if I am wrong:

When using 'Submit by Email' Reader is saving the form, but it is doing it invisibly. It is happy to save itself with the existing filename (eg my_form.pdf). Reader needs to do this so that the data that the user has inputted is saved and will be in the file that is attached to the email. Otherwise the form would be returned blank. For example if the form was not reader enabled, then the 'Submit by Email' would fail, because Reader would not be able to save the data into the PDF form.

What you are experiencing is standard signature field behaviour, in that it offers the user the option of saving the form with a different filename (eg my_form_signed.pdf). This is another reasons that the form needs to be reader enabled.

So you are on the right track, the signature field is adding a user interaction layer that you don't want - the Save As dialogue. But I don't think you will be able to work around that as it is built in behaviour. I am just surprised that you are not getting the Save As dialogue when you click the signature field.

Here is a summary of the features that are available (and not available) depending on whether the form is enabled or not: http://cookbooks.adobe.com/post_Using_LiveCycle_Forms_in_Acrobat_and_Reader-16518.html and here https://acrobat.com/#d=3lGJZAZuOmk8h86HCWyJKg

Hope that helps,

Niall

Former Community Member

Thanks for confirming that Niall.

If you do click in the signature field you do get the save as dialouge box.

Pity there is no workaround, perhaps in future development of Adobe Reader there will be more ability for it to process forms as they have been developed in Live Cycle.

Thanks for your assistance, my knowledge is slowly increasing.

Regards

Ian