Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Office Extension doesn't work properly on Win7 x64 platform

Level 2

One of our customers wants to encrypt the office documents, so I did some simple tests with the office extension.

On the 32 bit office 2010 which runs on the Windows 7 x64 os platform, after installing the extention, opening a word document and applying a policy, I find that we can not save the word document any more, also I find that the word program becomes very unstable.  Meanwhile, everything works fine on the 32 bit office and 32 bit windows platform(the same word document and the same policy).

Does anyone else have the same problem?

I think this is a very serious bug and should be fixed asap because more and more clients are using x64 windows operating system.

Also, when I check the adobe web site, I find the Live Cycle ES4 new version , but I cannot find the office extension download page( which used to be http://www.adobe.com/go/getrmextensions/  ), is it a new problem caused by the release of the new ES4 verson?

13 Replies

Employee

Ray,

Which version of LiveCycle is the customer currently using?

Contact LiveCycle support to report any broken link or to obtain latest RM Extensions from above mentioned URL

--Santosh

http://about.me/nskumar

Level 2

Santosh,

Thanks for your quick reply.

The version of LiveCycle of my test environment is ES3 ver 10.0.2.

Actually, I don't think the server version relevant to my problem, because the extention which runs on 32 bit office 2003 and windows xp operatating system in my test works perfectly and it connects to the exactly same LiveCycle server.

After doing some more tests, I have an important discovery. If I save the word file in the format of word 97-2003( with the file extension of .doc), then MS word fails to save the word document and is very unstable. If the word file is saved in the format of .docx file extension, then everything is OK. So, here is my conclusion:

1, .docx file format and office 2007 or above, no problem.

2, word 97-2003( with the file extension of .doc) and office 2003, no problem.

3, word 97-2003( with the file extension of .doc) and office 2007 or above, MS word will fail to save the word document and is very unstable.

That is to say, If I use office 2007 or above with LiveCycle, I cannot use the old word 97-2003( with the file extension of .doc) file format any more.

Below is the procedures to reproduce the problem:

Step 1: Install the rights management office extention with Office 2007 or above.

Step 2: Open MS word, create a new document, add some contents.

Step 3: Connect to the LiveCycle Server, Apply a policy to the word document.

Step 4: Save the document in format of word 97-2003( with the file extension of .doc)

Seep 5: Exit MS word.

Step 6: Reopen MS word and the document above.

Step 7: modify the document and try to save the document(it will fail).

Step 8: Reopen the document and you'll find the document keeping unmodified(save failed).

I hope the bug above can be fixed in the future extension verson.

Level 2

I have had the same problems also excel crahes a ton and becomes unstable only difference is we are running livecycle version 9.0.2

Chad Pyke | Manager/Data Management | Irving Shipbuilding |Office: 902-484-8243 | Mobile: 902-499-7885

Level 2

Can anyone from Adobe give an answer? Thanks.

Former Community Member

Ray,

Sorry for the delayed response !!!

We tried to reproduce the issue at our end but unable to reproduce the issue in office2007, can you please share your setup details.

Also share the details about the policy you have created like,

1) What encyption is used in policy

2) Are you trying to modify the document from document publisher or from some added user in policy who has permissions to change the document.

SetUp at our end :

Win7 SP1 64bit, MSOffice 2007, RMEO version 9.5.1

Thanks

Akhil

Level 2

Below is the procedures to reproduce the problem:

Step 1: Install the rights management office extention with Office 2007 or above.

Step 2: Open MS word, create a new document, add some contents.

Step 3: Connect to the LiveCycle Server, Apply a policy to the word document.

Step 4: Save the document in format of word 97-2003( with the file extension of .doc)

Seep 5: Exit MS word.

Step 6: Reopen MS word with the document above.

Step 7: modify the document and try to save the document(it will fail).

Step 8: Reopen the document and you'll find the document keeping unmodified(save failed).

The key step to reproduce the problem is to save the document in file extension of .doc(word 97-2003 format). 

If you save the file in .docx format, everything will be ok.   

Former Community Member

I had followed the same steps, able to reproduce the problem for .doc file in office2010(working on it for the fix) but not in office2007 .

OS is win7 64 bit in both the cases.

Can you please provide some details of the setup on which you had executed these steps with office2007.

or if possible can you please try these steps on another machine with office2007.

Level 2

I will do more tests and post the test results here on next monday.

Thank you very much.

Level 2

Today we did more test in several environments. :

1, Problem can be reproduced with Microsoft Office Word 2007 (12.0.6668.5000) SP3 MSO (12.0.6662.5000) or above. Problem cannot be reprodced with Office 2007 and no sevice pack installed.

2, Excel 2007 or above can also  reproduce similar problem when saving file in the file extention of xls, but Powerpoint doesn't have similar problem.

3, Watermark doesn't show with both excel and powerpoint.This is the new problem which we didn't find out before.

Former Community Member

For 1 and 2 we will post you back soon

For 3 watermark in excel can be viewed in pagelayout view only, and in ppt watermark is shown correctly, are you opening the file from local location or remote one ?

Level 2

Sorry, watermark can be shown in pagelayout view of word and excel.

But, our customer want to use watermark to warn user not to capture the screen and distrubute the document without permition. If watermark can only be shown in  pagelayout view, then this purpose cannot be reached because user can change to other view and capture the screen without capturing the watermark . Is this a feature by design? or do you have any plan to improve it ?

Former Community Member

It is as designed due to some technical limitation.

and if you want to restrict the user to take the screenshot then you can restrict it through the policy applied on that document itself, don't give the copy permission and user will not be able to take the screenshot.