Expand my Community achievements bar.

Newbie trying to create a form backed by an xml document.....

Level 1

I am using an eval version of Adobe Livecycle Designer ES3. I have been tasked with creating a form that displays data based on an xml file. The output has to be a .pdf file that is written to a specified location. I have been following the example found at: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/articles/process_output.html . The example works 'out of the box' and the instructions are clear UNTIL I get to the section that states: "Create a process that reads your XML file and uses the generatePDFOutput operation under the Ouput service (see Figure 5) this will also work for the generatePrintedOutput operation if you are generating PCL, PS or ZPL formats." Unfortunately I cannot find the location to create this process anyplace in the sample forms or anyplace else in the files that were provided. How and where do I create a process to read the xml file, map the contents to the fields on a form and write the final pdf file to a named location. There doesn't need to be any user input and field labels for the xml field mapping need to be hidden ? Is there an example anyplace in the Livecycle documentation that CLEARLY shows how to perform ALL STEPS necessary to perform such an operation? Please let me know if Livecycle Server is necessary to perform this operation. I realize I am missing something here but have been working on this for 2 days and have gotten nowhere. Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

2 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

the sample you using requires LiveCycle Output ES, which is a module of the LiveCycle server products.

This is nothing you can do using only Designer.

It's just the tool to create the form template, which then is processed by LC Output.

Level 1

Thanks for the quick reply.......one simple question: why does the sample app I am using run correctly if I only have installed LiveCycle Designer? And finally (and I will have to explain this to management), is what I am trying to accomplish (output a final pdf file given an input xml file) not possible using only LiveCycle Designer ? Excuse me for being redundant but I just wanna get everything in line here....

Thanks again!