Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Need or don't

Level 3

Hi,

Since a couple of days I struggle to find a way to display my XDP page to my client by using a web browser

And I think I m a bit confuse concerning this part.

Do I need automatically LifeCycle Forms or something like that in order to dislpay my forms? If yes can I just buy this application?

If no how can I do that ?

Thanks a lot for your help

6 Replies

Former Community Member

Hi manu,

When you say you want to display your XDP page, does your form have the extension of XDP or PDF? XDP cannot be opened by Acrobat, as they're kind of like the bluprint or sourcecode of the form. What you'll need to do is save your form as a PDF (which can be considered as the compiled or built version of the XDP) and then place your form on your webserver. The user would then go to the location of the form to access it.

Now, whether the form will be opened in the browser or downloaded onto the users computer depends on whether they have the plugin in their browser of Acrobat (pro/standard/etc). Its the browser plugin that allows the pdf to be embedded in the browser rather than downloaded onto the desktop or wherever.

Hope that helped

Billy

Level 3

Hi ,

The problems is that I need to personalise my forms depending on the used which means that I do need to fill automatically my form before I display it and in order to do that I do have to save it with the .XDP extension. Now the question is do I need to buy a soft in order to display or not?

Thanks

Former Community Member

Again, the user the will not be able to open the form if it is saved as an xdp, UNLESS you have the livecycle server rendering it.

I think I may be misunderstanding your process. Do you have Livecycle installed?

Level 3

Thank you I finally understand, I don't have life Cycle Server and I can't because this solution is to expensive. But do you think it's possible to create dynamic forms which are able to treat with database data or the only possibility is to do that in .xdp

Thanks for you answer that 's help me a lot

Former Community Member

No problem, but I just want to let you know you don't have to save it in xdp to have your form interact with a database. You design your form, and while designing you can specify a data connection to a webservice (which you'd create) and that web service would be able to connect to database. Essentially you'd have your webservice ferry the information back and forth. You do not need the livecycle server but you do need to either reader extend your form (lookup reader extensions) or enable your form for added functionalty through Acrobat pro (I believe, not sure how that is done though).

Level 3

yea but I need my forms to be able to handle personalisation which means that the user will transmit in the URL data who will allow me to know him and I wanna fill fields based on that can I do that with a basic acrobat pro?