Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Need help with conditional pagination breaks and overflow leaders

Level 1

I cannot figure out how to prevent a table header row (or repeatable subform that is being used as an overflow leader) from being "stranded" at the bottom of a page in a dynamic, flowed form and thusly being "separated" from the table it is intended to "head".  I think the answer must lie in having a better understanding and mastering conditional page breaks in conjunction with overflow leaders.  But, I cannot decipher how to do it from the online help available to me.

My form is a series of "tables" in which the end user will enter as much text as he wishes.  The fields/cells will expand as needed to accommodate the text.  The user may add rows to the tables using instance control buttons. The tables and fields work beautifully within the flowed, dynamic form with no problem.  The table headers and the repeatable subforms (used as overflow leaders) all work correctly by repeating themselves at the top of each page break just as I have defined them. 

However, in my form design (or as the user enters data in the expandable fields and tables), any table that flows toward the bottom of the page is at risk of leaving its header behind as its body rows break ever so nicely onto the next page.  Of course, the header and overflow leaders repeat at the top of the next page as they are intended.  But, having that "stranded" header row sitting there by itself at the bottom of the preceding page is not desireable.  It just looks weird.

I've tried using "keep with next" on the pagination tab, but does not solve the issue.  That only pushes the header to the next page if the table breaks the page, leaving the table entries on the preceeding page without any header at all. I've fooled with the conditional page break settings, but they elude me.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies

Level 10

May be having a look at the document may help to see all the settings.. You can share your form.

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

The form is attached. As you will see, in section 5. at the bottom of the first page, the table’s header row has been “stranded” at the bottom of the page while the table’s first body row (the form fields) broke onto the next page.

The table header row repeats (as an overflow leader) onto the top of the next page as I intended. However, I want the form to paginate so that if a table’s first body row is pushed in its entirety to the next page, then its header row goes with it and is not left behind on the previous page. This is an easy enough thing to do with something like Microsoft Word tables by using “keep with next”. But in LiveCycle, “keep with next” works very differently.

I’ve tried using repeating subforms as overflow leaders and form fields instead of tables and table header rows, but the same thing happens. The header or caption text gets stranded and separated from its corresponding data entry form fields/rows.

Level 10

I cannot see the form.. Did you share the document..

Thanks

Srini

Level 1

I replied using email and attached it to the email.   But, my reply did not post here on the forum with the attached file.  I cannot figure out how to upload it to Adobe.com forums?

Level 10

Check this thread on steps to upload the document..

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/918400?tstart=0

After you upload, paste the link to the document..

Thanks

Srini

Level 2

Did this get resolved?  I am having the same problem.  If a table begins near the end of a page, I sometimes get an orphaned table header at the bottom of the page.

If I use the "keep with next" option, then sometimes the table header does not appear on subsequent pages, even though the option to appear on subsequent pages is selected.