Expand my Community achievements bar.

My form has become quite slow

Level 9

Hello All ,

I have 7 page form designed in LiveCycle Designer ES- 2 , I use Acrobat -8 pro to view. I do not why the form has become quite slow and showing some weird behaviour.Can anyone suggest how to get it over with ?

Thanks.

Bibhu.

12 Replies

Former Community Member

It is difficult to make general statements regarding the performance of a specific form. The following document was produced for Designer 7 but the principles apply.

http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/pdf/lc_designer_perf_guidelines.pdf

As a rule of thumb several issues can effect the performance of a dynamic XML form. This is a partial list off the top of my head.

1) Bad design.

2) Bad scripting (JavaScript or FormCalc). For example, iterating over form nodes unnecessarily.

3) Calls to external data sources where the response time from those calls is poor.

4) Using tables when tables are not necessary. For example, using tables to organize the visual layout.

5) Using collections.

6) Using the PaperFormsBarcode object and generated scripts, particularly using XML and collections.

Steve

Former Community Member

One other potential issue .... we can use this to identify it. Can you save the file in an XDP format in Designer and let me know the size of the file?

Paul

Level 9

Hello Paul,

The size in XDP format is 83.3MB. I have 80 check boxes across 2 pages. I total I have got 7 pages.Those 80 pages need interaction among exhother. I can not understand how can I optimize the form.The size in PDF format is 549 KB. I can not understand what's happening . Please help me out .

Thanks.

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Ok I think you have the issue I was referring to ...one last test .....can you open the XDP with a text editor and scroll through it. See if you have the same line of information repeated over and over .....once you scroll it will be very evident.

Paul

Level 9

Hello Paul,

This particular statement <?templateDesigner StyleID aped3?> has repeated may no.of times. For what these things are coming ? I am totally confused.

Thanks.

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

This is a known issue .....it is a bug in Designer 8 that when you copy and paste content that has that statement in it, it will create duplicate copies of that line. The bad thing is that it will add them exponentially...hence the large number of lines. This does not happen for every cut and paste operation there is a very specific pattern that needs to occur. Obviously youhav ehit that pattern.

You have two options to fix this issue. There was a patch added in SP3 (I think) that will fixup your file when you open it in a Designer that has the patch applied. All subsequent versions of Designer will also fix up the template (you would have to upgrade to version 9)

The other option is to send me your template (send the PDF file). I can open it in my Designer (which will fix it up) and send you back the fixed version.

You can send it to LiveCycle8@gmail.com if you choose that route.

Paul

Level 9

Hello Paul,

I am facing the same issue again. Could you please give me the link on how to download and instal the patch in SP - 3. Is it free ? My product version is :

LiveCycle Designer ES - 8.2.1.3144.1.471865 . I got this installed by installing Acrobat - 9 Pro.

Thanks.

Bibhu.

Level 9

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the link. Could you please which ServicePack is installed in my system ? My product version is LiveCycle Designer ES - 8.2.1.3144.1.471865 .

So that I could update it .

Thanks.

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

I have SP2 installed and my version is 8.2.13158.475346

Paul

Level 9

Hello Paul,

So I guess is it also SP - 2 in my system as well ?? Can I upgrade this to SP - 3 (Is it released ?) Or I have no choices left to buy LiveCycle ES - 9 ? Is it free to upgrade from which version I am having to Version - 9 ?

Thanks.

Bibhu.

Former Community Member

Sp3 is released but I did not see it when I looked on the support site ....I do not know enough about the particulars of the availability of the SP. You may want to contact support to get the details.

Paul