Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Multiple WebCam Publishers

Level 2

Within my Flex app is it possible to have multiple publishers and a single subscriber ? Essentially, the need it so have multple people in the collaboative space, with, for example 4 people broadcasting themselves, while the "client" or "customer" views all 3 webcams.

This doesnt seem to be available in Connect Pro, so im wondering if it could be done using LCCS.

6 Replies

Employee

Hi John,

Yes this is possible. You can always add WebCamPublishers and WebCamSubscribers independently and so LCCS would support the scenario you mentioned.

Thanks

Arun

Former Community Member

Hi ,

Every person can broadcast only one stream. Why do you need multiple Publisher for ? Every person has his own instance of client app and can broadcast his own camera and audio stream. Any number of people in this way can broadcast themselves, and you can give the client a Viewer role(role=10) by which he can't publish his stream , but can receive others streams.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Level 2

The use case as explained to me would be that of Multiple Doctors speaking to One patient. If a Doctor needs to bring in others for more opinions, we'd like them to be able to load up their copy of the Flex application and have their webcam appear to the patient so they can all interact with him or her

It might look like this..

Screen shot 2010-02-03 at 1.02.57 PM.png

What Im not really getting yet is... would I have to dynamically instantiate new webcam publishers when new publishers join the conversation.. or would those be previousl defined in the room definition and then made visible when appropriate?

Former Community Member

Hi John,

Yes the mockup I saw is perfectly possible. Whenever any of the doctor loads his flex app, he can always start sharing his camera.

For the mockup you showed me, you can do this.

Have a webcampub and a set of webcamsubs (one for each doctor, you can do this by only setting pubisherIDs array to just one userID in your every webcamsub) and lay out these webcamsubs in a HBox in your app. The webcamPub will help every doctor to publish his own camera. Give every doctor a publisher role i.e. role 50. This is for the top part of your mockup.

You can have a webcamSub that covers the main x-ray image part and set its publisherID to the camera stream which it wants to show. Now the problem comes, if you want a doctor show his image in the top HBox as well as another camera showing his x-ray. He can't publish normally two camera streams. But you can use groupName feature to give the big subscriber( one showing x-ray) a groupName , and thus everyone can see that who has webcamsub with that groupName. Since groups can be created by owner, you can pre-create a group for that room.

You don't need to dynamically instantiate multiple publishers in your app. Every publishers(doctor) when he loads his app can publish his camera automatically with only one publisher. The camera streams are user dependant and without groups, one user can publish one camera stream.

Hope this is clear to you. Please feel free to ask if something isn't clear

Thanks

Hironmay Basu

Employee

There is only one webcam publisher (or webcam component) per Doctor. Each one "publish" his/her own camera.

You can try this by running a ConnectNow room where there is only one webcam in the application (one publisher + one subscriber) but when you have multiple partecipants start their camera viewers see all of them.

Level 2

And, may I add, a really neat idea!

tinylion development & design