Expand my Community achievements bar.

Merging Vertically

Former Community Member

Can anyone please give some steps

on how to merge vertically in a table?

5 Replies

Former Community Member

Not sure I follow what you are asking ...can you give an example?

Paul

Former Community Member

I want to merge cells vertically in a table (ie down the column).  I can merge cells across rows but I cannot merge cells in a column so they merge down and span a few rows.

Former Community Member

Now I understand .....you can't. The object woudl span across a couple of rows (subforms) and that woudl not be allowed. This is a limitaion of the table object.

Paul

Level 1

Hi,

You select an object, then go to its Border tab (usually on the left bottom corner), edit the selected object either individually or ina group with the object you want to merger with (in this case 2 cells of table). Then change border to None for ALL of 4 sides. This is important, as when you only select the merging side and leave the other 3 solid - nothing happens. So make all sides as None of both of the objects you are trying to merge. And voila.

You will not lose the outside borders of the merged cells as the holding subform will take care of it.

Level 3

I understand what you propose and even implemented it to see if it was something I didn't really catch, nevertheless you can't merge the cells to actually place a single object spanning the two rows height. And this is what I think OP wanted (even though it was years ago). So yes, the appearance will be a solid box, but this is certainly not merging the two cells.

TL;DR:  Appearance as a single cell yes, but merging the two cells no.