Expand my Community achievements bar.

Manipulation of the size of an image inserted into an Image Field

Level 1

Hi,

I'm learning LiveCycle Designer ES 8.2 as I go. My apologies for the lengthy post but I'm trying to give you as much background as possible.

I'm are trying to design a form that will allow us to automate data entry (by importing fields into our Access dbase instead doing the data entry by hand).  However, at the end of the day, I also need an electronic pdf file of the same form and a printed paper copy.  Things have been going well until working with the Image Field.

The form is fairly complicated - 4 pages long.  We're collecting extensive data on specific locales (location, what was seen there, who did the work, etc). On one page, three different images (maps) are needed, each one showing different details on the site's location.  [Please note these images will not be imported into the database but must appear in the electronic pdf and on the paper copy.] The people who fill out the forms are expected to do so using Adobe Reader (the form will have extended rights so that they can save the data they enter on the form).  They would then email us the form as an xml file.  Once we receive the form, we have to add some additional information and then the finalized paper copy and electronic pdf would be made.  We have already done this successfully with much simpler forms, none of which have needed Image fields.

Here's my problem - one of the three maps required is a standard 1:50000 scale topographic map which shows things like contour lines and latitude/longitude lines.   For accuracy and comparison reasons, having the standard 1:50000 scale is very important to us, so we can make absolutely certain the submitter has the right location.  If the dot plotted on the map is out just a few millimeters, we're looking at an error that represents 100s of meters on the ground.

The current form exists in Word - we have never had any rules about the image formats used (jpg, gif, etc) or the resolution, as long as the image was clear.  The only rule was that the scale of the topographical map image HAD to be at 1:50000 scale.  This gets very tricky because Word will automatically mess with the physical appearance of the image, based on its resolution.  In most cases, the submitter simply readjusted the image within Word, stretching/resizing it manually until the scale was correct.  Another option was to use an image in the emf file format so that Word didn't readjust the image's appearance based on its resolution. Whatever method they used was fine by us, as long as the scale was correct.

So far, after playing with all the "sizing" options of the Image field, along with embedding or not embedding the file, I do not see any way to control the physical size of the image. On our form, the three image fields are different sizes, with 2 of them being small (~2x3 inches) and the 3rd being large (~7x7 inches). Regardless of the settings I chose for each image field, the program simply resizes the topographic map whatever Image field it was inserted into,  making the same image appear physically smaller or larger at will.  I cannot correct the scale by resizing it, like I can in Word.   Instead, when I try to select the image, all I am asked is if I wish to insert another image.  Inserting an .emf file format into the field doesn't work - it only shows a blank screen instead of the image.

Is there a way for the user to adjust the image's physical size in the form, after inserting it (like they can do in Word)?  Demanding that everyone use a standardized resolution or image format also seems highly unlikely to work - there are too many submitters and too many programs that can be used to make the image (some are making them using GIS programs, others are scanning the bought topographic print).  I'd appreciate any help you can give me on this.  I have had very little luck tracking down discussions on Image fields and how they work best within LiveCycle.  Any comments would be helpful!

1 Reply

Level 10

Hi,

I have an example here that is intended to demonstrate the difference between Positioned and Flowed subforms: http://assure.ly/i8pSdy.

This shows how you can use a slider to change the dimensions of the image object.

I have extended this to an example with buttons to scale the image: http://assure.ly/i8ZI5Y

This may not be fine enough for your purposes, but it may give you some ideas.

Good luck,

Niall

Assure Dynamics