Expand my Community achievements bar.

mandatory text fields

Level 1

How do i make text fields mandatory for the user to fill out before proceeding to the next field?

7 Replies

Level 10

Hi,

If you are using LC Designer ES2 or ADEP Designer 10, then you have greater control over validation (in the File > Form Properties). However the form would need to be targeting Acrobat/Reader v9.1 in order to use these features.

Another workaround would be to set the focus back on the field if it fails validation, but I am not sure if that is a good user experience. As the user may not be looking at the screen and may not realise that the focus is back on the field.

Personally I think it is better to deal with the validation pre-submit.

Niall

Level 1

I'm creating the form in Adobe Acrobat from an InDesign document and don't see any "Form Properties". The only properties I see are the text field properties, and in this the "validate" dropdown. Are you able to help me with this?

Level 10

Hi,

This forum is dedicated to LiveCycle Designer. You may get better help on the Acrobat or Scripting forums. http://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat.

I am familiar with InDesign and Acrobat on the Mac and you will be able to achieve what you are looking for, but it will require some scripting in the Validate tab of the field properties.

Something like:

Acrobat1.png

var oField = this.getField("docFileName");

if (event.value != "Hello World") {

oField.setFocus();

}

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Sorry - i'm a complete novice at any kind of scripting. I tried the scripting you gave me - but couldn't get it to work. I replaced "docfileName" with "On-Line Booking Form" and "Hello World" with "Date" - this is the field I am trying to make mandatory. What am I doing wrong?

Level 10

Hi,

For clarity, all of this is happening in Acrobat.

The "docFileName" in my example is actually a field called docFileName. You would replace this with the name of the object in your form that contains the script.

The "Hello World" would be replaced with what you are expecting the user to input.

As I said the Acrobat forums may be able to help you quicker.

Niall