Expand my Community achievements bar.

Mandatory CRL Check before sign a pdf xfa form

Level 3

Hi,

Do you know how can I make mandatory the CRL check when an user tries to digsig an XFA Form…?

I saw in LC Designer that we can configure the signature field in order to do a CRL check before the signing but when I try this in a offline PC i can sign without a problem... maybe the CRL is somehow cached on Windows...? This depends on the Windows Integration that we can set on Reader/Acrobat preferences...?

I’m assuming as expected behavior that if Reader or Acrobat cannot find the CRL URI the signature would be not possible…

Thanks in advance,

Carlos

PS: attached 2 print-screens (LC Designer and Reader configs..)

1 Reply

Level 3

Just for the records I copy here a response I've received from an authorized source about this topic:

You can go the other way and force Acrobat (and when I say Acrobat I mean both Acrobat and Reader) to not go online, but you can’t tell it to only go online.

The revocation checking algorithm is a bit convoluted, but it boils down to a long list that describes the order in which Acrobat will do revocation checking. The concept is look for a valid response in the first location, stop if you find one or continue down the list if you don’t find one. If Acrobat looks locally and finds a CRL, it will check to see if it is valid. If it’s not, then it ignores it and moves to the next location on the list.

If you really want to test the Seed Value while the computer is offline you would need to clear the CRLCache prior to initiating the signing routine. Also, if you opened a signed file that had the revocation embedded, and it’s the same CRL that you will be looking for, that CRL will have been loaded into memory and used during the subsequent signing operation within the same session. Your best bet is to close Acrobat, take the machine offline, clear the CRLCache (see below), launch Acrobat, open the unsigned file with the Seed Value, and try to sign.

The CRLCache is located at:

Win XP

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0\Security\CRLCache

Vista/Win 7

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Acrobat\9.0\Security\CRLCache

Mac OS X

/Users/<user name>/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Acrobat/9.0_xxx/Security/CRLCache

Saludos,