Expand my Community achievements bar.

Making dynamic data static before distributing PDF form

Level 1

I'm trying to populate a PDF form with data from an Excel sheet.

The Excel data is converted to a XML schema and XML datafile and is shown correctly in the Preview PDF in LiveCycle.

(With a XSD data connection and a XML example file)

But when I click on distribute form (or save the file as PDF) the data in the table is gone.

Is there a way to merge the data with the PDF file when its saved (dynamic data becomes static)?

Background: I want to make a form for a newbie, so she only has to adapt the excel file data (with new products and prices) when she wants to create a new orderform in LiveCycle.

Thank you in advance.

(LiveCycle 8.2 - Adobe CS4 Master Collection)

3 Replies

Level 6

I guess in your case you are just using "Preview" feature but not actually importing data. Again Preview does not help to import the data and XSD helps to understand the data but can not initiate the data pick up by itself. So I guess you need to some how initiate the data merger. My suggestion would be adding following code to some text field in "docReady" event which will allow you to select the data file and help the data filled in the form according to the XSD.

//JavaScript code...

if (this.isNull) {

xfa.host.importData();//will prompt you for selecting the datafile when this field is null in other words this will happen when you open the PDF for the very first time....I recommend you to test it before you send it out...

}