Your achievements

Level 1

0% to

Level 2

Tip /
Sign in

Sign in to Community

to gain points, level up, and earn exciting badges like the new
Bedrock Mission!

Learn more

View all

Sign in to view all badges

SOLVED

Making a dynamic Table of Contents for a document with liquid layout… HELP!

tjolaoso
Level 2
Level 2

**Running LiveCycle ES4 and using the "action builder" to code**

I Have a HUGE document (70+ pages) that needs a dynamic table of contents that updates as the user adds information which can push all following sections to new page numbers.  There are sections AND subsections under each section, but for this, lets keep it simple and just talk about the sections.  I have been battling to find a way to do this for months and i need to have this done this week. I've already made the table of contents and when each section title is clicked, it sets the focus of the PDF to the first text field in that section.  (each section has a text field right after the section title)


To make it dynamic, i have added 2 pieces for each section:

1) a visible text field on the Table of contents page with the default value of the page number that section is on before the user enters any information

2) an invisible numeric field placed right before the first text field in each section who's value is set to "runtime property:current page number" so it always holds the current page number


Using Action Builder, What i want to do is that anytime a textfield is changed, change the value of the visible table of contents field for that section TO the value of the invisible numeric field that is holding the current page number.  There are 7 sections, so if the section 2 text field is changed, it will need to update the Table of contents for sections 3-7.


Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 12.05.36 PM.png


When i tested this on just one section, it worked.  But now it is not working and i don't know why. 


Below are some object properties that my be causing the problems too. does anything stick out?


Visible box on the table of contents page

Field: Type = Text Field

Value: Type = Protected (i have been cycling through ALL different types, but the one time it worked, this was the Value Type)


Invisible box above the first textfield in each section

Field: Type = Numeric Field

Value: Type = Calculated - Read Only, Runtime Property: Current Page Number


any suggestions? Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution
tjolaoso
Correct answer by
Level 2
Level 2

This was never answered, but i did figure it out on my own.  Figured since this had 66 views, i would share what i found.  It was actually an easy fix.

I added a textfield (set to show the current page number of the page it is on) at the very beginning of each section that appeared in the table of contents and set it to always stay with the first line of text in that section so as the document grew, the page number the section starts on will stay correct.  Then set it to be hidden.  In the "binding" tab, i set the name to be the same name as the corresponding header in the table of contents.

Hopefully this helps someone thats in my spot last year. 😃

View solution in original post

1 Reply
tjolaoso
Correct answer by
Level 2
Level 2

This was never answered, but i did figure it out on my own.  Figured since this had 66 views, i would share what i found.  It was actually an easy fix.

I added a textfield (set to show the current page number of the page it is on) at the very beginning of each section that appeared in the table of contents and set it to always stay with the first line of text in that section so as the document grew, the page number the section starts on will stay correct.  Then set it to be hidden.  In the "binding" tab, i set the name to be the same name as the corresponding header in the table of contents.

Hopefully this helps someone thats in my spot last year. 😃

View solution in original post