Expand my Community achievements bar.

Guidelines for the Responsible Use of Generative AI in the Experience Cloud Community.

Make text field flowable to resize as text is inputted

Former Community Member

I am on a PC, running Windows XP, using Adobe Pro 9 and LiveCycle Designer 8.2.1.....

I want to know is what setting/format/modification do I need to make to allow flowable text fields when I create a form in LiveCycle.  The problem I am having is that my user wants two text fields that will expand as a user types data into them.  When he prints, the fields are truncated if the text entered is larger than the size of the text field.  There surely has to be a setting somewhere that I can change so the textbox will grow with the input.

Any help I can get is most appreciated!

Thanks,

Shirlene

5 Replies

Former Community Member

It is more than just a setting.

0. This must be an XFA based form and not an Acroform or an image PDF that has fields layed on top.

1. The field must be set to multi-line

2. The field must be allowed to grow in the Y direction (Layout panel).

3. The field must be contained within a flowed subform) You can place it in a positioned subform and have that housed in a flowed subform...in this case the positioned subform must also have the ability to expand in the Y direction.

4. Th eform must be saved as a dynamic PDF.

After all of that if it still does not work I suggest that you send the form to LiveCycle8@gmail.com and I will have a look at it. Please include a description of the issue.

Paul

Former Community Member

Thank you, Paul, for the reply.  I have just 2 questions:

1.  What is an XFA based form?  My user created most of the form in Word07 and saved as an Adobe file.  I have been modifying it from that point.

2.  How do I insert the subform when I already have the text field in place?

Otherwise, I'm good with the rest of the steps (great job on that, btw!)

Thanks,

Shirlene

Former Community Member

I believe I have found the subform and made it flowable because I can now see the whole field of text.  The problem is that it is now printing on top of the other form fields below it.  I'm guessing that all of these fields will have be part of the subform so they can move down as the text is entered in the field above it.  If I'm right, I'll kill myself now...

Please tell me I'm wrong and there is an easier way...

Thanks,

Shirlene

Former Community Member

Sorry you are right ......before you pull the trigger you can use the hierarchy view to multi-select objects that belong in the same subform contain and right mouse click to wrap in a subform. You do not have to wrap each individual object. If you look at the Purchase Order sample you will see that everything in is broken up into sections.

You can find where your samples are located in the Help/Samples menu. You will want the dynamic interactive sample and the comments field is the one that is set up to flow and grow.

Hope that helps

Paul

Former Community Member

Thanks, Paul, your instructions are excellent.  I think I can take it from here but if I get stuck again, I'll write back.

Thanks again,

Shirlene