Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

mailto: unknow email address

Level 9

I am using a button set to "submit" the "XML data", but I do not know the email address. I want the user to enter it when the email message appears. What can I put in the URL to make this happen and still have the "Select Email Client" dialog box appear?

mailto: <what goes here?>

6 Replies

Level 5

Hi,

If you are using Email submit button then u need not give any thing in "Email Address" field of Emai submit button.

If you are using something else ? please let me know

Thanks

Vjay

Level 9

I am using a custom button set to "Submit" and XML data. THere is a URL field where I need to put mailto:

If I do not enter a valid email address, the "Select Email Client" dialog box does not appear. I need that dialog box to appear but I do not know the email address. I wanted the user to enter the email address after selecting from the "Select Email Client" dialog box.

Is there a way to get the dialog box to open even though I do not have an email address in the URL field?

Level 4

I believe this highights the difference between the changing the control type for a button to "Submit" and using the integrated "Email Submit" button. If you use the integrated email submit button you can do what you are asking for, but if you change the control type of a button it must be set to a specific address. I do not believe that you can create a script to change the mailto: attribute for that button. I could be wrong as my experience in Javascript is quite limited at best, but I do not see a method for doing this. Is there a specific reason why you want to use a custom button set to submit instead of using the integrated email button?

Level 9

Thanks for your reply Josh. I think I tried the Email Submit button and had the same problem. The Select Email Client dilog does not appear when the email address field is left blank.

-Don

Level 4

I do not believe that it is supposed to. I believe that dialog box only pops up when Adobe sees that there is no email client installed on the host machine. So for example my email client on my machine is Outlook so I dont see those errors. All that Adobe is going to do is use the default email client that is installed on the host machine. I do not believe there is a way to set this as it is a user controlled setting on their machine.

Level 9

Okay - I will try it again. I did not realize that Adobe checks to see if an email client is installed. Where does it look? In the default program list?

Thanks for all your help!

-Don