Expand my Community achievements bar.

Looking for 2 solutions.

Level 1

Hi all.

I tried researching dozens of post and tried various search terms. Not sure if I am using the right terminology.

I have a merchandise Return Authorization Form that I have my Customer Service staff fill out.

Here is what I am looking to do:

1. I want to send the completed form to the Customer using the email field on the form.
  2. simutaneously, save a copy of the form to a network drive using the RA# Field + Last Name Field on the form.

I am NOT a programmer. I have read multiple solutions on google and other sites. nothing really helped.

CAN this actually be done at all?

Thanks,

5 Replies

Level 4

I can answer the first part of your question depending on what version of LiveCycle you are using. From the object library, select a button. Once on your form leave the button selected and from the object pallet tab, choose "submit" as your button type. Then go into the Submit tab and type in the URL that you want your pdf to go to. If you don't want it to go to a specific person, then just type "mailto:" in the URL space and select pdf from the drop down menu next to "submit as".  Now this button will open the person's default email program ready to be addressed with the pdf as an attachment.

I hope this helps.

Level 5

Hi,

To Answer the second question,

(assuming you are talking about a PDF file)

technically it is possible, although there are a few hoops to jump through.

Hoop 1 - If you are working in Reader it needs to be enabled in order to allow the save, LiveCycle Reader Extension Or Acrobat Pro are required for that

Hoop 2 - you can use the JS call doc.saveAs, as can been seen by the documentation, there are a number of things that need to be in place for this function to work.

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/10/Acrobat10_HTMLHelp/JS_API_AcroJS.88.519.html

Hope this helps

Malcolm

Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I am a novice with this and am able to get through

many things by trial and error. I still do not get it.

I am trying to using Live Cycle 9.0 and Acrobat 9.

I have a full form and need to:

Save the file using the field(s) Last Name & Date

Print the PDF in full to a local printer.

Email the PDF to the customer using the Email Field on the form.

I would not mind using 3 buttons to do each single function i mentioned if that

makes it easier.

Any suggestions for this laymen would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tino

Level 1

Hi,

Thank you for responding. I am a novice with this and am able to get through

many things by trial and error. I still do not get it.

I am trying to using Live Cycle 9.0 and Acrobat 9.

I have a full form and need to:

Save the file using the field(s) Last Name & Date

Print the PDF in full to a local printer.

Email the PDF to the customer using the Email Field on the form.

I would not mind using 3 buttons to do each single function i mentioned if that

makes it easier.

Any suggestions for this laymen would be appreciated.

Regards,

Tino

Level 5

Hi,

If you just want to display a "PRINT" button and have this show the print dialog then you can just use the "PRINT" button from the Object palette in LC Designer .

If you want more control you could use the acrobat javascript in which case I would investigate this

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/10/Acrobat10_HTMLHelp/JS_API_AcroJS.88.506.html

Note: this will still cause the dialogue to be displayed it just means you can change the settings and the user will just have to click 'OK'

To do both of these you need to be able to save the PDF file, this means that the file has to be enabled for the Reader application to enable the save.

It can be enabled by Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ( a server product  built by Adobe) OR

Acrobat Professional ( this is limited to 500 users of the form)

Note : if all the users have Acrobat then the PDF does not need to be Reader enabled for save rights

Once you are able to certify the document then you are able to perform what you would like

The Email can be done using the EMAIL Submit button and this only requires a mail client be installed on the users machine.

To do the save you can look at the Adobe doucmentation but as this is in a PDF form, a dialogue will need to be shown to the user to enable to select where the PDF file is saved.

Documentation for SaveAs is here

http://livedocs.adobe.com/acrobat_sdk/10/Acrobat10_HTMLHelp/JS_API_AcroJS.88.519.html

Hope this helps

Malcolm