Expand my Community achievements bar.

SOLVED

LiveCycle form is rights extended in Acrobat but can't be commented in Reader

Former Community Member

Hi All,

I made a form (which I saved as dynamic) and opened in Acrobat to extend its Reader rights (I suppose this is the only way to extend Reader rights, isn't it?).

After extending its Reader rights, I open it with Reader but commenting is not permitted. Why?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Correct answer by
Employee

Okay , the option to reader extend the file you have chosen is correct but your form is dynamic XFA - Acrobat/Reader does not have capability to add annotations on dynamic XFA based PDF files hence you are not seeing that option.

If your usecase is to use annotations on the PDF then you can go with static forms (if possible)

--Santosh

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Employee

Which version of Acrobat have you used to Reader Extend the form?

Ensure that you have selected the commenting option while reader extending the document , You can check this by clicking Ctrl + D when the form is opened using Reader and check the Document Restrictions Summary and check if commenting is allowed or not.

--Santosh

Former Community Member

Hi Santosh,

I posted the same question here:

http://answers.acrobatusers.com/LiveCycle-form-is-rights-extended-in-Acrobat-but-can-t-be-commented-...

and you can see what I was answered. However, I am not sure that answer is complete!

I am using Acrobat X ver. 10.1.7.

I checked what you suggested and commenting is not allowed. However I don't see how I can enable it.
In Acrobat X, I have the following 3 options:

1) File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Adding Text In Documents
2) File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Commenting and Measuring
3) File > Save As > Reader Extended PDF > Enable Additional Features

I am using the last one which should enclose the first 2 too.

As a user case, let me describe my situation: I have a submit button (mailto:"email_address") on the LiveCycle form. If I don't extend Reader rights by means of Acrobat option 3 said above, the submit button is not effective in Reader. However, if I process the file in Acrobat and choose option 3, the submit button works fine in Reader. That means that some extension has been done. However, commenting is always disabled. Here, the answer I got from the forum linked above may apply. Please, let me know your comments and opinions.

Thanks for your attention.

Correct answer by
Employee

Okay , the option to reader extend the file you have chosen is correct but your form is dynamic XFA - Acrobat/Reader does not have capability to add annotations on dynamic XFA based PDF files hence you are not seeing that option.

If your usecase is to use annotations on the PDF then you can go with static forms (if possible)

--Santosh