Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Livecycle ES2, Oracle configuration, limited tablespace

Level 2

Hello,

I am busy preparing and installing a clustered environment:

2 servers, each their own WAS. Both instances must use a Oracle 11G database configuration.

According the documentation livecycle requires the Oracle database to allow the LC runtime user to have the following privileges:

CREATE SEQUENCE

CREATE VIEW

UNLIMITED TABLESPACE

CREATE TABLE

CREATE CLUSTER

CREATE SESSION

The database expert involved does not want to grant the bold-indicated privilege.

Will this introduce installation or runtime errors?

I ran through most of the installation documentation but i cannot find any clue about the consequences of not granting this specific privilege except that this right is essential during bootstrap.

Thanks for any reaction!

gr.

Marcel

3 Replies

Employee

Marcel, We need unlimited tablespace in this configuration, otherwise during bootstrap or component deployment you may face issue. The Database size would be increasing during these steps and in future also.

Khushwant Singh

Adobe Systems

Level 2

Thanks KhushwantSingh.

I do have some extra remarks/question though.

I can imagine livecycle needs to extend it's tablespace unlimitly to prevent database locks during deployment or runtime process handling. No question about that!

The unlimited tablespace setting is not about extending a specific tablespace but about granting a user an unlimited amount of any tablespace in the database.

See Unlimited tablespace Oracle definition:

=====================

UNLIMITED TABLESPACE System Privilege

To permit a user to use an unlimited amount of any tablespace in the database, grant the user the UNLIMITED TABLESPACE system privilege. This overrides all explicit tablespace quotas for the user. If you later revoke the privilege, explicit quotas again take effect. You can grant this privilege only to users, not to roles.

Before granting the UNLIMITED TABLESPACE system privilege, consider the consequences of doing so.

Advantage:

• You can grant a user unlimited access to all tablespaces of a database with one statement.

Disadvantages: 

• The privilege overrides all explicit tablespace quotas for the user.
  • You cannot selectively revoke tablespace access from a user with the UNLIMITED TABLESPACE privilege. You can grant access selectively only after revoking the privilege.

=====================

The oracle administrator is not really happy with assigning such rights to a specific user, because of the risk of locking all tablespaces in the database.

Can you please confirm if it absolutely necessary to grant the unlimited tablespace right to the livecycle user according to the definition of this right as described above?

Thanks alot (again) for your reaction!

Employee

You don’t need to set to set Unlimited Tablespace if you set an unlimited quota for the user on LC’s tablespace explicitly.