Expand my Community achievements bar.

Learn about Edge Delivery Services in upcoming GEM session

Livecycle Designer - Can't Import Word Documents

Level 1

Hello. I'm an IT tech and we're having an issue with Livecycle Designer. The problem we're encountering is a pretty common one, it seems, in that when a user tries to import a Word document she receives an error about being unable to find Word (XP or onwards). We're using Windows 7 64-bit, Livecycle ES4, Office 2013. I've verified that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\InstallRoot has the path C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\ and that it is in fact where winword.exe is located, but it STILL returns the "unable to find Word" error. I've also created the reg keys and strings for the reg entries Office 11, 12, and 14 just in case, to no effect (we previously had upgraded from those different versions of Office).

I've verified that our Windows Applocker is not blocking it, nor is McAfee's Host Intrusion Prevention Service. Ran it as regular user and as admin, on different profiles, and the other person who also uses Livecycle Designer has the exact same problem (fortunately these are the only two people I actually know of that use this here). I tried both .doc and .docx files, same error.

Can someone please help me with this? Thanks!

3 Replies

Level 2

I've had similar issues with ES4, and remember that originally the registry fix didn't work.

From memory, I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling LiveCycle Designer ES4 and also running the SP1 update: https://helpx.adobe.com/livecycle/help/whats-new-livecycle-es4-sp1.html, which contains a fix for importing Word into flowable form.

Also: Just a thought should the string value be "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office15\" (e.g. add 'root' as that is the WINWORD.EXE location?).

Level 1

Thanks for the reply, I'll have to check out SP1; I'm not sure if we currently have that installed, but I kind of doubt it. As for the string value change, I don't know that it should include root, since there isn't a "root" in the filepath to the program itself, just Microsoft Office\Office15\winword.exe. I could give it a shot, but I would expect it to not find a "Microsoft Office\root" folder and return the same error.