Expand my Community achievements bar.

Live Cycle extended

Level 1

Hello: I was talking with pre-sales and I think they might have misunderstood what I needed. I have developed a form using LiveCycle Designer ES to use at work. We have about 80 employees that would be using this form from their desktops. I want the form to retrieve data from the server to populate the form based on choices from a dropdown list. I have the form working just fine on my computer. I want to connect it to a access database so that employees can populate the form using Adobe reader. Data does not have to flow back to the server. All I need is data to populate the form and do some calculations once the choices have been made. I understand I need to set up a DSN on each machine or use extended version of ES. We do not need to use this over the internet. Pre-sales told me to use Flex 3. I know this is a good product, however because of security reasons we do not want to use the web. Each machine has access to a drive on the server. Can I do what I need to do using LiveCycle designer ES extended? We want to order this as soon as possable. All machines in the building have Reader installed.

Thank you

Jwilson123

6 Replies

Former Community Member

You can do what you are trying to do (with Designer), but you will need to "Reader Extend" the form for it to be able to establish a connection to a database when the form is opened in Adobe Reader.

LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES is a server based product that allows you to "extend" the form that enables functionality in Reader such as web services, database connections, save data locally and dititally sign the form.

Regards

Steve

Level 1

Thank you for your fast response. Do I need to buy enterprise edition with reader extensions to get this done?

I think that is what you are saying. I don’t want to order the wrong thing or go back to them for more money right away.

Thank you Steve

Jeff Wilson

Former Community Member

Jeff

You would need to get the "Adobe LiveCycle Reader Extensions ES" solution component.  This is one component of the LiveCycle Enterprise Suite.  Check out this link, http://www.adobe.com/products/livecycle/solutioncomponents.html

Regards

Steve

Level 1

One last question and I will quit bothering you. Can I make the connection to an access database instead of mySQL or SQL? I know SQL is much better but that is going to be a learning curve for me and there is nobody else in the center that can do it. So to make this happen quickly I would rather start with Access and set up a SQL database down the road after things are tested and working.

Thank you again Steve

Jeff

Former Community Member

jeff

Yes, you can use an Access database (.mdb).

I should have mentioned, if you are using the form in Acrobat Professional, you do not need to Rewader Extend the form.

Regards

Steve

Level 1

Thank you Steve:

We have professional but I think only one copy and a bunch of thin clients loaded. We have about 80 machines with reader already loaded.

This form will save the Air Force a ton of money each month so I can see this expanding in many directions.

I figure about 50 hours of labor a week would be the savings by using this solution with just this one form.

Plus it will make me a hero.

Thank you Steve Have a good day

Jeff