Expand my Community achievements bar.

Linking Subforms from page one to page 2

Level 1

Hello to who can help me,

I am looking to link a subform from page one of the document and have it flow into page two. I have a series of expandable text boxes in the subform and the text is flowing perfectly.

However, the form needs to run onto the second page sometimes due to the amount of content. Where other times it needs to stay on one page.

Also, the second page will have a different Master page(background). Would it be possible to have the second page only appear if the text flows past the first page?

If yes can someone provide me with the instructions?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

12 Replies

Level 10

Hi Melissa,

You can achieve this, but you need to set up a few things in your form:

• The form must be saved as Dynamic.
  • The subform containing the expanding objects must be set to flowed and 'Allow page breaks within content' - see Subform tab.
  • If you limit the first Master page occurrence to a max count of 1, then the form should flow onto the second Master page.

Parallels Desktop2.png

Here is an example: https://acrobat.com/#d=pxy*P4aVfhyjmMHXuOEy*Q

Niall

Level 1

Hello Niall,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have made sure that my document is Dynamic. The subform containing the expanding objects is set to be flowed and 'Allow page breaks within content. I have limited the first Master to a max count of one. However, it still won't work.

The text is flowing off the page and going into space. Also, the text is flowing over my footer. Is there a way to set boundries for my subform. So it stop expanding on page one and carries into page two. I hope I am making sense.

Attached is a Screenshot of the PDF Preview showing the text overflowing.

Let me know how I can fix this if possible.

Thanks again,

MelissaForm_nonflowingtext.jpg

Level 10

Hi Melissa,

It loks like a pagination issue.

Check that neither keep checkboxes are ticked. These should not be checked in your situation.

Also in the After button, you could try to explicitly specify that the content be placed on the second master page  "Go to page: Page2".

Parallels Desktop1.png

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

Hello Again,

Everything is working with the text flowing to the next page!

But now I have encountered another problem... I had to set all subforms to flowing which then allowed everything to flow properly. But.. now I cannot position my text fields and image fields. I cannot move the fields by clicking and dragging and can not edit the X & Y cordinates (they are greyed out).

Any ideas to what is stopping this?

Thanks once again!

Melissa

Level 10

Hi,

If you separate out the objects, so that objects that cannot expand are in positioned subforms and that only objects that can expand are in flowed subforms.

Within a flowed subform you can also have internal positioned subforms for specific elements.

Unfortunately, once a subform is set to flowed, objects are automatically aligned to suite the direction of flow. You can influence this by setting margins, etc.

Here is another example of where you can nest subforms in order to achieve a certain effect. https://acrobat.com/#d=aFfqJJrwjDbVOuT96bD8Ug

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Hello,

Everything you have helped me with so far has been great! I do have 3 more questions that should help me complete this project

1) When the text carries over to the second page it is carrying over the Margin settings from the first page. I need the margins on the second page to start higher than the first page. How could I go about doing this?

2) Is it possible to change the color of some of the captions?

3) All of the text boxes within the same subform are conected. Is there a way to insert a thin stroke/line between each of these text boxes to help divide them?

Thanks again!

Melissa

Level 10

Hi,

Well done on getting the pagination sorted.

Check the margins settings for the second Master page. The flowed content should position itself in accordance with that layout. So if you go to the second Master Page and check the position and size of the red dotted content area.

It is possible to change the font colour (and size, weight, etc) of the caption and value independently of each other. See the Font tab and the dropdown to select which you want to edit:

Parallels Desktop2.png

I would be slow to add a line, as it is another object to be drawn onto the form and maintained. Instead you could increase slightly the margins of the field in the Layout tab. This will separate the objects in a flowed subform. You will need to increase the height of the objects to take into account the increased margins (so that content will be visible).

Hope that helps,

Niall

Level 1

I feel like there is not end to my questions.... But my margins for the Second Master are Greyed out all I can edit is the Size and Position of the content area which is set to:

X: .05 Y:1

W:7.5 H:8.75

What could cause my margins to be unchangeable?

Thanks,

Melissa

Level 10

Hi Melissa,

It is the x/y and w/h that you are after (not the margins at all).

The problem is the y = 1 inch. Reduce this down to 05.in or 0.25in. and you will be good to go.

You can also grab the content area on the form (red dotted outline) and drag this (or resize this) to suit.

Parallels Desktop1.png

Good luck,

Niall

Level 1

Hello,

This didn't work for me... I dont know if there is a bug in my document. Is there anyway I can send you the file to take a look at?

I played with the content box and everything reflowed so I put everything back the way it was. The space it is leaving when it flows into the second page is about 4 inches and when i go to erase the content to bring it up to the first page the content remain on the second page...

Let me know if i can send you the file to take a look at.

Thanks a million!

Melissa

Level 1

Hello,

Here is the file I am referring to. I am unsure why the second page is

giving me so many problems..

Let me know if there is a solution.

Thanks,

Melissa

Level 10

Hi,

I sent a private message with an email address.

N.